Asst Professor: Secondary Social Studies / Literacy Studies
Asst Professor: Secondary Social Studies / Literacy Studies
Requisition Number: 51046
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date:
The School of Education at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor in Secondary Social Studies / Literacy Studies, beginning in the 2024-2025 academic year. We seek to hire faculty who are committed to addressing educational challenges in Colorado, the United States, and the world through thoughtfully selected and enacted methodological and theoretical perspectives. These colleagues will join our internationally recognized faculty whose deep commitment to equity and justice is reflected through our contributions to research, policy, and practice.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The mission of the CU Boulder School of Education is grounded in a lived commitment to democracy, diversity, equity, and justice. We teach and conduct research to make a positive difference with and in schools and communities. The work of our faculty, researchers, staff, and students leads to evidence-based policy and practice. We aim for our graduates to be engaged and informed educators, researchers, policymakers, and community leaders.
We offer cutting-edge, engaging teacher preparation, innovative undergraduate programs, and Colorado's top-ranked graduate education in multiple program areas: Educational Foundations, Policy & Practice, Equity, Bilingualism & Biliteracy, Learning Sciences & Human Development, Literacy Studies, Research, Evaluation & Methodology, STEM Education., and Teacher Learning, Research, and Practice.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The workload for this position includes teaching, advising & mentoring (40%), research, scholarly & creative work (40%), and leadership & service (20%)
This faculty member will teach in and contribute to the development and growth of our undergraduate and MA+ teacher licensure programs in Secondary Humanities (Social Studies, English Language Arts, and Spanish) and be an active mentor and instructor in our MA and PhD programs in Literacy Studies. They will maintain an innovative research agenda and corresponding publication record that reveals a thoughtful and compelling progression of scholarship. This faculty member will engage in activities surrounding the mission of the School of Education, including participation, outreach, and leadership in local, school, campus, and larger communities.
What You Should Know
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at: email@example.com.
What We Can Offer
Anticipated starting salary for full time, 9-month academic year position at the assistant professor rank is $80-92k. Salary can be paid out over 9 or 12 months. Benefits remain active over summer. Additional opportunities for teaching and research/creative work or service projects up to 3/9ths of AY salary may be available during the summer. Relocation and start up funding is available in accordance with University policies and the School's guidelines.
In addition to a competitive salary and generous benefit package, the University offers inclusive paid parental leave; housing down-payment assistance programs; relocation assistance; and teaching and professional development.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be empowered. Be groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- PhD (conferred by August 2024) in Secondary Social Studies Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or closely related field, from an accredited university.
- Research that addresses race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, culture, gender, and/or sexuality in social studies learning and teaching and/or literacies in social studies contexts in in-school and/or out-of-school settings.
- At least three years (or equivalent) of teaching experience in secondary social studies classrooms in U.S.-based public schools.
- A strong commitment to equity- and social justice-oriented teacher education conducted in close partnership with public schools and/or community-based organizations.
- Experience teaching university-level courses for pre-service and/or in-service teachers.
We will only accept applications electronically through CU Careers. Completed applications must include the following:
- Cover Letter: Succinct letter of application highlighting qualifications.
- One sample course syllabus for a university-level course taught.
- One sample publication or example of scholarly work related to secondary social studies education.
Contact information for three references which will be requested during the application process. We will request letters of recommendation and additional materials if needed as the search progresses.
For questions, please contact Dr. Silvia Noguerón-Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org), Search Committee Chair, and Program Area Chair, Literacy Studies.
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2023. Preference will be given to applicants who submit by this date. Position will remain open until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Asst-Professor-Secondary-Social-Studies-Literacy-Studies/51046
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in Boulder
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Heads of department / Chairs of department jobs in Boulder
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Other Senior Management jobs in Boulder
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in Boulder
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Boulder