Head, School of Agricultural, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences
- Lead a diverse high-performing team committed to excellence in education and research while guiding them through innovation and change.
- Shape the School's profile and standing through effective leadership, financial management, and the development of cooperative relationships with government, industry, and community organisations.
- Gain personal and professional growth by developing and implementing plans that promote high-quality learning, teaching, impactful research, and meaningful industry partnerships.
- Fixed Term (up to 5 years), Full Time
- Senior remuneration package (including 17% superannuation)
- Relocation support provided
- Albury-Wodonga or Wagga Wagga
As the Head, School of Agricultural, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences you will be a transformational executive leader combined with having a real and demonstrated connection and commitment to the Schools diverse disciplines and world-class courses and research projects.
The School operates within modern facilities including teaching, clinical, farming and laboratory resources. The School is strongly aligned to the Gulbali Institute to deliver world class impactful research and forms part of the industry, research and education nexus of the Global Digital Farm, Agripark, Biosecurity Training Centre and Southern NSW Drought Resilience Adoption and Research Hub.
The appointee will motivate and engage staff through exemplary leadership, building a unified school with a strong sense of direction through the execution of effective operational and strategic planning.
The School is based on three campuses; Wagga Wagga and Albury-Wodonga in in the Riverina/Murray regions, both known for being productive and agriculturally diverse areas. More recently the School has commenced delivery of courses on our Port Macquarie campus.
To be successful you will have:
- A higher degree, preferably at doctoral level or equivalent professional experience and standing, in a cognate discipline relevant to the School.
- Experience developing and leading staff in a higher education or similar setting to deliver excellent teaching, student experience and the development of significant research productivity and quality.
- Executive level proficiency, including experience in strategic alignment and planning, financial management, workforce planning and support.
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and data from a range of sources relevant to the tertiary education sector, for the purposes of influencing quality improvement and decision making.
- Ability to develop and manage effective liaison with external organisations (including professional bodies) to build cooperative working relationships and partnerships that deliver tangible benefit.
- Sound knowledge of and ability to implement governance principles.
Applicants are expected to apply online and submit up to two (2) page summary, explaining their suitability to the role referencing the selection criteria in the position description.
Charles Sturt University is a young and growing university committed to developing far-sighted people who help their communities grow and flourish. We make a significant contribution to the prosperity and vibrancy of our rural and regional communities, with a reach and impact across Australia and internationally. We work together with industry, communities and students to create new thinking, inspire each other and make a positive and progressive contribution to the world.
The Faculty of Science and Health is a dynamic and diverse Faculty with teaching and research expertise. The faculty unites a broad profile of professional and industry-aligned courses, and our graduates are highly sought after, making a strong contribution to our regions and globally. With proven capabilities in the natural, physical, animal and health sciences, we are delivering on our vision to enhance the scientific capability of Australia and its regions, responding to the health and well-being of our communities, and having a global impact. Our students are taught in excellent facilities which can be accessed across our campus footprint, and we have strong on-campus, online and work-integrated learning capabilities. As a leader in contemporary strategic and applied research, the Faculty of Science and Health prepares future researchers through our higher degree research program and provides scientific solutions to current regional, national, and global challenges, both independently and in collaboration with our research institutes.
The faculty is made up of five Schools:
- School of Agricultural, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences
- School of Allied Health and Exercise Sciences
- School of Dentistry and Medical Sciences
- School of Nursing Paramedicine and Healthcare Sciences
- School of Rural Medicine.
We are home to the Three Rivers University Department of Rural Health, the Biosecurity Training Centre and the University Enterprises in Veterinary Practice, Dentistry and Oral Health, the Community Engagement and Wellness Centre, the Charles Sturt Winery, as well as having a close relationship with the Charles Sturt farm. Further information on the Faculty of Science and Health may be found here: science-health.csu.edu.au.
The School of Agricultural, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences delivers a cognate profile of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The school is renowned for education and research in agriculture, environmental science and management, and veterinary practice. The synergies across the school provide a unique and special learning and scholarly environment. Staff of the school are highly experienced researchers, conducting impactful and applied research and passionate teachers committed to ensuring graduates are well-prepared for the workforce.
Charles Sturt University offers a great work-life balance, professional development opportunities and generous financial benefits.
Charles Sturt University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. This is demonstrated through our Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice Citation and our Athena SWAN Bronze Institutional Award. Charles Sturt is also a participating member in the Australian Workplace Equality Index. Applications are encouraged from Indigenous Australians; people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); people who identify as LGBTIQA+; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Additional information is available in the Applicant Information Brochure or by contacting:
Professor Megan Smith | Executive Dean, Faculty of Science and Health | DeanofScienceandHealth@csu.edu.au | +61 2 6051 9245
Professor Sam Adeloju | Deputy Dean of Health and Sciences | firstname.lastname@example.org | +61 2 6051 9681
Closing Date: 11 pm, 28 September 2023