Faculty Positions in Department of Physics
School: School of Mathematics and Physics
Department: Department of Physics
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Job ID: 3477
Position Open Date: 10th August 2023
Advertisement Closing Date: 31st October 2023
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and an educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and the exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for the UK and other institutional partners. At the same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practices, and culture from the west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
The Department of Physics is part of the School of Mathematics and Physics at XJTLU. Research within the Department of Physics seeks to explore and explain fundamental aspects of the world we live in, from the smallest subatomic particles to the Universe as a whole. Current research projects at the department can be broadly classified within the following research areas: particle physics, quantum gravity, nanotechnology, condensed matter physics, dynamical systems, theoretical physics, and astrophysics.
We invite applications for the position of Associate Professor or Assistant Professor. Successful candidates will show commitment to a high standard of teaching at all levels. The department is involved in the delivery of undergraduate physics and mathematics modules at all levels, as well as the PhD programme.
- Conduct high-quality research, leading to publications in top journals.
- Actively attract external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach physics and mathematics to undergraduate and graduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
We are looking for future colleagues able to collaborate with others, with an active attitude for research, passionate about physics and able to conduct their academic duties in English.
- Effective communication skills;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Professionalism and work ethic;
- Interpersonal abilities to manage a research team
- Positive attitude and energy
- Diversity / Sensitivity.
- A PhD in Physics or a closely related field;
- Outstanding teaching skills;
- Fluent in English
Successful applicants to more senior professorial ranks are expected to also show:
- A significant record of high-quality academic publications,
- A number of external research grants awards,
- Experience in PhD supervision.
- Two years of full time work experience with demonstrable teaching experience;
- International experience in higher education;
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds;
- Experience in academic programme design and development;
- Experience in supervision of student projects.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program - Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- RMB 1-3 Million
- Innovation Leading Talent
- up to RMB 2 Million
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please feel free to click the link for application: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=3477&company=xjtlu. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 5 parts in the order of:
- Cover letter
- Current CV, including date of birth and country of citizenship
- Full publication list
- Teaching statement (1-2 pages).
- Contact information for three references
For questions or inquiries about the position, please contact Head of Department of Physics, Prof. M.B.N. (Thijs) Kouwenhoven at T.Kouwenhoven@xjtlu.edu.cn. For general enquiries, please email HR at Mingwei.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.