Faculty Position, Entrepreneur and Innovation Hub (All Ranks)
School: Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Hub, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Position: Faculty Position, Entrepreneur and Innovation Hub (All Ranks)
Academic Discipline: Technopreneurship, Entrepreneurship, Intrapreneurship, Industry 4.0/5.0, Technology Transfer, Software, Hardware, Creativity, Leadership, Innovation & Start-up culture.
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has around 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and both academic and applied research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practices and culture of the west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
The XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched in 2019, as a pioneer of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing the talents and leadership attributes required to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s new award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and the Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub as a platform which connects them:
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
ABOUT ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND ENTERPRISE HUB
The Entrepreneur and Innovation Hub (EEH) is a growing platform for teaching, learning, entrepreneurship and innovation under the guidance of the Dean and Associate Dean. Providing entrepreneurial connectivity to 7 technology-focused schools at the heart of the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) campus, it aims to become integral to the wider university, as well as local, and regional innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems.
As part of the Entrepreneur College (Taicang), EEH is responsible for the delivery of all Entrepreneurship modules within Industry-oriented bachelor degrees, as well as coordinating and delivering a unique Master’s degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovation which currently offers 10 distinct industrial pathways.
The aim of Entrepreneur College (Taicang) degree programmes is to produce talented high-worth individuals, teams and start-ups ready for the challenges of tomorrow and industry 4.0/5.0. The Entrepreneur College also recognises that truly successful graduates require a powerful combination of subject-specific knowledge and entrepreneurial (or intrapreneurial) real-world abilities, such as interpersonal skills, creativity, negotiation, teamwork, approaches to risk-taking, problem solving and technopreneurship-relevant startup methodologies.
The Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub has adopted a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspectives, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract individuals embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused, technologically-progressive, co-learning ecosystem comprising of students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. EEH seeks academic members who are creative, and/or have worked in technology, so they are well placed to understand the mindset of technology students, and empower their graduate trajectory with entrepreneurial & intrapreneurial skills.
Applicants should thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiry. EEH seeks creative educators who can adopt a systems mindset and apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design enriching educational experiences for students. They should view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
Candidates should have expertise in two or more of the following areas:
Technology start-up; Innovation; Technopreneurship; Entrepreneurship/Intrapreneurship; Incubators & Accelerators; Software or Hardware development, Creative Industries; Heavy or Light industries; Technology Transfer. Experience of developing innovation and entrepreneurship-related programmes would be an advantage. Applicants should be comfortable with innovative teaching approaches, and working with students from a variety of backgrounds. Applications should ideally also have industry experience.
The successful applicant should be able to:
- Understand and have an entrepreneurial and innovative mindset, in line with the ethos of the College.
- Bring their lived creative, industrial or technological experiences to life in the minds of students.
- Design engaging, innovative modules, short courses and/or other learning activities.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Provide administrative service to the School, the University and its stakeholders.
- Develop successful PhD supervision.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation.
- Conduct high-quality industry-enhanced research and/or consultancy projects, evidenced by contribution that output makes to industry, the economy, society, environment or culture, beyond the contribution to academic research.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with industry, academic institutions, and other external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary business development in line with the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) research themes, become an ambassador for EEH business development, research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning and assessment approaches through an innovative, entrepreneurial mindset in line with College ethos.
- Contribute to the school’s teaching development through mentoring and supporting early career academics (Associate Professor and above).
- Undertake other appropriate tasks assigned by the Entrepreneur College or University through the Dean/Associate Dean of School or College Senior Management Team.
- Ideally educated to PhD level in a technological or entrepreneurially-relevant field.
- Teaching experience in a Higher Education Institute or significant equivalent experience facilitating/training teams in an industrial context.
- Knowledge of current debates, trends and issues relating to the expanding field of entrepreneurship and start-up culture.
- A track record of innovation in Learning and Teaching.
- Evidence of excellent organisational and administrative skills.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching.
- A commitment to Continual Professional Development in all areas of the role as an academic at the university.
- Ability to do work, teaching, research and/or industrial practice in English.
- Strong team-work spirit and desire to take key roles in EEH - a new university platform.
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- Demonstrable, applied skills and/or creativity with technology of some form.
- Evidence of ability to work in interdisciplinary teams.
- Evidence of ability to teach effectively.
- Experience of supervising group projects, masters projects and/or dissertations.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Appropriate research experience as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal publications, created businesses or artefacts for the corresponding academic position.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
- Experience in intensive teaching, problem-based learning, and a willingness to be reflexive, innovative and open-minded to new teaching practices.
- An constructionist thinker, institutional builder and collaborator open to working with disciplines across the Taicang campus.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email to Dr. Xiaojun Zhang, Acting Dean of School by email on Xiaojun.Zhang@xjtlu.edu.cn and Andrew.King@xjtlu.edu.cn or to HRBP on firstname.lastname@example.org.