Assistant Professor in Marine Biology (Aquaculture and Fisheries)
Biological and Environmental Sciences Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature and Linguistics, Arabic Language, Mass Communication, History, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Environmental Sciences. The College also houses Master Programs, which are M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, M.A. in Gulf Studies, M.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, M.Sc. in Materials Science and Technology, and M.Sc. in Applied Statistics. In addition to a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Gulf Studies. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers namely the Center for Sustainable Development and the Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of Qatar University, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 600,000$ per project along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the area of expertise such as, but not limited to Marine Biology, Fisheries and Aquaculture and Special Topic courses in the candidate's area of expertise.
- Supervise graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise.
- Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise.
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University levels.
- Contribute to the research profile of the department and College through research publications.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- Doctorate (PhD) and Bachelor degrees in the area of Marine Biology, Aquaculture, and Fisheries from a recognized university.
- A record of distinguished scholarship (peer reviewed publication record), grant-funded research, and graduate student mentorship in the last 5 years.
- A good track record of research experience in aquaculture and fisheries with expertise in genetic screening and optimization of indigenous species. .
- A minimum teaching experience of 5 years at the university level, graduate teaching is preferred.
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in the higher education sector.
- Willingness to work with teams.
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae reflecting the following information:
- Years of experience after PhD
- H index
- Google scholar link
- ORCID NUMBER
- Number of publications published in Q1 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q2 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q3 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q4 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Non-indexed Journals
- Number of Published Books
- Number of Published Chapter of Books
- Number of Graduate Students supervised and the role
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Head of Department:
Dr. Fatima Al Khayat
End Date of Advertisment