Research Engineer / Fellow, Metabolic Engineering
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on a research project where you will be part of the research team to develop yeast and fungi for food ingredient and biochemical production. The specific goals are:
- Metabolic engineering of Yarrowia and Candida yeasts for organic acid production
- Design and optimization of fermentation method in 10L and 100L stirred tank vessels
- Fulfill the primary responsibilities within the project:
- Deliver structured presentations of research plans and findings every two weeks.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior research engineers and undergraduate students working in the same research field.
- Prepare scientific manuscripts for reporting and potential publication (as first or co-author).
- Prepare writeup for new research grant application
- Support undergraduate lab class conduct where applied research outcomes are utilized in undergraduate teaching.
- Conduct thorough risk assessments and ensure adherence to work, safety, and health regulations for all research activities.
- Coordinate procurement activities with licensed vendors for research items.
- Have a relevant PhD degree in Biochemistry or Biochemical Engineering
- Have at least 1 year experience with the metabolic engineering of Yarrowia and Candida yeasts, including foreign gene expression and gene deletion.
- Have at least 1 year experience with the use of bioreactor, HPLC-MS and GC-MS.
- Prior experience in the genetic manipulation of filamentous fungi cell line engineering is advantageous.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with people within and external to the university.
- Self-directed learner who believes in continuous learning and development
- Proficient in technical writing and presentation
- Possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Show strong initiative, take ownership of work, and able to cope with failures