Visiting Research Fellow (Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum)
VISITING RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS AT THE LEE KONG CHIAN NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
- Yang Chang Man Visiting Research Fellowship in Biodiversity
- Leo Tan Visiting Research Fellowship in Biodiversity
The Yang Chang Man Visiting Research Fellowship in Biodiversity and Leo Tan Visiting Research Fellowship in Biodiversity aim to attract postdoctoral researchers who have a passion to advance our knowledge and understanding of Southeast Asia’s rich fauna. The terrestrial, freshwater, and marine environment of Tropical Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Thailand, Myanmar, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Timor-Leste) has an immense variety of animal life, much of it still poorly studied, and the LKCNHM is committed to better document this biodiversity.
This fellowship is designed to encourage and empower early career researchers who conduct specimen-based research to better understand the diversity of the region’s animal life and enhance taxonomic capacity. The fellowship will be administered by the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (LKCNHM), Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore. Up to two Fellowships, each for up to two years, may be offered each calendar year. Fellows will be based in the Museum, but may also work with researchers in other parts of NUS and/or institutes/organisations in Singapore.
The selection panel will use academic records, demonstrated research capability, strong track record, relevant publications, the quality of the submitted research/study proposal, relevance to the Museum, and appropriateness of the proposed fellowship activities to determine the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements, and the positive factors for selection.
All proposals will need to be supported by a LKCNHM staff. Proposals developed jointly with NUS and/or Museum curators will be given preference.
- Reporting directly to the LKCNHM Head or Deputy Head, Fellows will develop and implement a coherent specimen-based research programme that will advance knowledge and understanding one or more groups of tropical Southeast Asian terrestrial, freshwater or marine biodiversity.
- Fellows will be expected to conduct research leading to the publication of high quality publications in established peer-reviewed outlets.
- Fellows will be expected to work with researchers/affiliate researchers in LKCNHM, and may also collaborate with researchers in other institutes/agencies should the research study require.
- Subject to the standard NUS terms of annual leave, Fellows will be expected to be in residence throughout the term of their appointment. In addition to annual leave, Fellows may apply for academic leave to undertake research and fieldwork overseas, subject to the approval of the LKCNHM Head.
- Degree & Experience: Applicants must have a PhD degree from a reputable institution, and preferably have formal work experience in biodiversity and/or specimen-based research after obtaining the PhD degree.
- Language: Applicants must have good command of written and spoken English.
Documents required for application
- Curriculum Vitae, with publications list
- Research Proposal (no longer than 3 pages)
- LKCNHM staff’s letter or email of intent to collaborate (if any)
- Certified copies of PhD degree and transcripts
- Three recommendation letters from referees stating the candidate’s suitability for this fellowship.
- Applicant’s training, aptitude and experience: Academic qualifications, performance, relevant experience, aptitude to benefit from the fellowship programme and the potential to add value to the home country’s biodiversity capacity/expertise after his/her return home.
- Relevance and Quality of the Research Proposal: The proposal must be well-designed, innovative and the stipulated outputs must be achievable during the fellowship tenure.
The deadline for applications is 15 July 2023. The offers are projected to be made by end October 2023. Successful candidates should plan to start the fellowship by February 2024.
Contact person for more information
For any other queries, please contact the administrator at email@example.com
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Department : Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 20727