Research Fellow - Data Science
Job no: 0029288
Role type: Full-time; Fixed term until June 2024
Faculty: Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Centre for Health Policy
Salary: Level A – $80,258 - $108,906 p.a. plus 17% super
- Unparalleled access to extensive cancer health data for transformative research.
- Opportunity to drive your own research initiatives and professional development in data science and health research.
- $80,258 - $108,906 p.a., plus 17% super, and benefits!
About the Role
This is an exceptional opportunity for a talented early career data scientist with expertise in health informatics and health services research to join our team at the Cancer Health Services Research (CHSR) unit. As part of the team, you will have access to a unique and extensive dataset of over 200,000 individuals diagnosed with cancer, allowing you to make significant contributions to the field of cancer health services research. With the support and mentorship provided, this role offers the chance to drive your own research initiatives and develop professionally in the domains of data science, health research, epidemiology, and more.
- Analyse risk factors and patient outcomes following immunotherapy treatment.
- Conduct independent research using a large-scale cancer dataset.
- Collaborate with the CHSR team and stakeholders for project success.
- Present research findings at seminars and conferences.
Who We Are Looking For
You have the ability to write, present, and conduct research effectively, and you possess a strong willingness to learn and adapt to new methodologies, tools, and research techniques.
You will also have:
- A graduate degree (Master's or honours level) in a relevant field such as data science, health informatics, biomedical statistics, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant programming skills, preferably in languages such as R or Python.
- Proficiency in data analysis, statistical modelling, and data visualisation techniques.
- Familiarity with data management, data integration, and data privacy and security principles.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – “ Cancer Health Services Research“
The Cancer Health Services Research (CHSR) unit is at the forefront of cancer care innovation, health economics, and the enhancement of cancer care delivery. With a strong data-science program, we drive improvements in health services for cancer patients. Located in the prestigious VCCC building, we have established collaborations within the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre and renowned partners like the Peter Mac Cancer Centre and Western Health. As part of the University of Melbourne Centre for Cancer Research (UMCCR) and the Centre for Health Policy (CHP), we operate within a multidisciplinary environment with expertise in health economics, health services and systems research, public health law, data linkage, big data, and ageing and demography.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community. For more information, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We encourage and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We recognise that reconciliation is central to our purpose. For more information, please visit our Reconciliation page.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Applications close: 2 July 2023 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST)
Position Description: PD - Research Fellow - Data Science.pdf