Research Fellow in Physics / Machine Learning
- Drive research outcomes and join a collaborative research team
- Strategically partner with industry, government and our communities to focus on key areas in research
- Enjoy the benefits of a large organisation with a regional lifestyle
- Fixed Term (up to 5 years), Full Time
- Level B - AUD$102,486 to AUD$121,504 pa (plus 17% superannuation)
You will be responsible for leading activities across one or several academic directions of the AICF, including conducting world-class interdisciplinary scientific research, supervising PhD students and applying for external research funding.
You will have a background in theoretical, computational and applied aspects of machine learning and artificial intelligence, including, but not limited to, algorithmic and physical reservoir computing (echo state networks, liquid state machines and relevant concepts), deep reservoir computing, nonlinear dynamical systems and chaos, everything defined broadly.
This role would suit someone with expertise both in the foundations of machine learning and in its applications in the fields of physics, mathematics, biology, engineering and finance will be considered, including those who have hands-on expertise in experimental research on relevant topics.
To be successful you will have:
- A doctoral qualification in the fields of artificial intelligence, computational science, physics, applied mathematics, engineering, biology or finance or equivalent accreditation and standing
- A record of academic achievement of national and international standing in the fields of machine learning, physics, mathematics, finance, or biology
- Research work experience in academia and/or industry in the above-mentioned fields
Applicants are expected to apply online and address the selection criteria in the position description. If you experience difficulties applying online or for further information on completing the application process please visit our how to apply page or contact us.
Charles Sturt University is a young and growing university committed to developing far-sighted people who help their communities grow and flourish. We make a significant contribution to the prosperity and vibrancy of our rural and regional communities, with a reach and impact across Australia and internationally. We work together with industry, communities and students to create new thinking, inspire each other and make a positive and progressive contribution to the world.
Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Futures Institute (AICF) is a new research Institute at Charles Sturt University aiming to become a world class research centre of excellence in data science, artificial intelligence, and cyber security, to pursue the agenda of regional discovery, showing how AI developed 'off the beaten track and 'in the wild can better serve not only rural and regional communities, but society as a whole, creating a new comparative advantage for Australia internationally.
Our aim is to develop a centre of excellence in regional NSW. We'll do this by:
- building trustworthy data-driven systems and embedding transparent reporting practices in all AI-related research
- promoting inclusive interoperable AI design relevant not only to cities, but also to rural areas
- maintaining ethical integrity of AI-driven designs, which should not exploit rural populations for the benefit of urban systems
- encouraging respectful co-creation between regions and cities.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. This is demonstrated through our Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice Citation and our Athena SWAN Bronze Institutional Award. Charles Sturt is also a participating member in the Australian Workplace Equality Index. Applications are encouraged from Indigenous Australians; people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); people who identify as LGBTIQA+; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Charles Sturt University offers a great work-life balance, professional development opportunities and generous financial benefits.
Additional information is available in the position description or by contacting:
Professor Ganna Pogrebna | Executive Director, Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Futures Institute | email@example.com | Ph: +61 472 719 063
Closing Date: 11 pm, 20 July 2023