Research Assistant, Malaria Vaccine Program
Griffith University is a progressive, values-led university dedicated to learning, leadership, and innovation. This is your chance to help us achieve our vision to transform lives and add to human knowledge and understanding in a way that creates a future that benefits all.
Since opening in 1975, Griffith has grown from one campus and 451 students to become a comprehensive, multi-campus institution, with 50,000 students and more than 200,000 graduates.
The Institute for Glycomics is a world leader in the discovery and development of next-generation drugs, vaccines and diagnostics that fight diseases of global impact.
Established in 2000, we’re the only institute of its kind in Australia and one of only a handful in the world.
We engage globally with industry, philanthropic organisations, government and other premier research institutes to build the human capital driving healthcare solutions that address some of the world’s most intractable diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated research assistant (Grade 1 or 2) to join the Malaria Vaccine Development Program within the Laboratory of Vaccines for the Developing World at the Institute for Glycomics.
Candidates interested in translational research are encouraged to apply as this position will contribute to and support research that is focused on developing and progressing novel malaria vaccine strategies from the laboratory into clinical trials.
This position will:
- maintain malaria parasite stocks.
- contribute to the maintenance of research equipment, infrastructure, methodologies, and protocols.
- ensure the appropriate storage, handling and disposal of chemicals, equipment, stores, and samples.
- assist with vaccine manufacturing activities for clinical trials.
- undertake pre-clinical assessment of vaccine candidates in rodent models of malaria.
- perform immunological assays to assess vaccine candidates, across various projects in the Malaria Vaccine Program.
This is a full-time, fixed term (12 months) position based at the Griffith University Gold Coast campus. The successful candidate will be appointed at either Grade 1 or 2 depending on experience, skills and qualifications.
The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor of Science Degree (Grade 1) with Honours (Grade 2); or an equivalent combination of qualifications and/or experience.
You will have demonstrated:
- Experience or ability in laboratory work, particularly laboratory animal techniques, cell culture and flow cytometry. Experience with malaria parasite culture, rodent malaria parasites, Good Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices would be advantageous but is not essential.
- High level oral and written communication, excellent record keeping and good time management skills to ensure research activities are completed to the highest possible standards and within a set time frame.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently across multiple projects, supporting vaccine development.
The successful candidate will have a flexible approach to working hours, where required, in order to meet the requirements of the project.
Why join Griffith?
As a values-led organisation, at Griffith University, we've worked hard to create a dynamic and strong organisational culture. We support the professional and personal development of all our employees and invest in the skills of our people. We offer:
- mix of on campus and work from home options available and a supportive work environment.
- salary packaging options and corporate health discounts.
- generous leave entitlements including paid parental leave and leave loading.
Griffith University values diversity, inclusion and flexibility and we encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, and people of all backgrounds to apply. For more information please visit our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion page.
The base salary for a Research Assistant (Grade 1) is in the range $70,229 - $74,275 per annum, plus 17% employer superannuation. The total package is in the range $82,168 - $86,902 per annum.
The base salary for a Research Assistant (Grade 2) is in the range $78,315 - $82,359 per annum, plus 17% employer superannuation. The total package is in the range $91,629 - $96,360 per annum.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online and ensure your application includes the following:
- A covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, in particular please address the selection criteria as listed in the Qualifications section (above) in your covering letter
- Current curriculum vitae/resume including full contact details
- Names and contact details of at least three professional referees (no contact will be made without your permission)
Click here to view the Position Description.
Visa sponsorship is possible for this appointment for candidates who do not hold valid Australian work rights.
For further information specifically about this role, please contact A/Prof Danielle Stanisic, Research Leader on +61 (0) 7 555 29433 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For application support, please contact People Services on +61 (0) 7 373 54011.
For further application and recruitment advice, please contact Theresa Burke, Talent Acquisition Partner on email@example.com
Closing date: Monday, 19 June 2023 at 5:00pm AEST. All applications must be submitted online.