Manager, Intellectual Property and Agreements
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 05 Jun 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Jul 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Manager - Intellectual Property & Agreements
The Manager, IP & Agreements is responsible for the identification, protection and efficient management of Khalifa University’s portfolio of intellectual property (IP) assets including patents, trademarks and copyright.
Key Roles & Responsibilities Strategic Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of the Department's strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the Department's policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the Department’s budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
- Develop and implement procedures for the protection of intellectual property to ensure that all patent related items are in compliance with international and national law, rules and regulations.
- Develop and implement procedures that support review compliance of agreements and licensing obligations.
- Communicate effectively with external patent counsel and industry patent counsel and other representatives of industry and government on patent related matters.
- Evaluate, develop and oversee the implementation, configuration, integration and data integrity of the database for the Intellectual Property Assets and Agreements.
- Support and facilitate IP management from invention disclosures from patent filing to expiration. Provide expertise in organizing and managing deadlines, by working with outside counsel, Technology Portfolio Managers and other stakeholders to ensure cases are in order and statutory deadlines are met.
- Manage patent administration, docketing and activities from first filing to expiration, foreign filing, registration of transfer of rights, etc.
- Analyze data in asset management database and make recommendations on data maintenance, rights management, specifically maintenance of innovators on innovations, and maintenance of innovations and IP on agreements.
- Provide support to the technology commercialization team in the drafting of license and collaboration agreements
- Lead negotiations with third party sponsors to resolve complex issues involving the grant of IP rights in a variety of contracts and drafts acceptable contract language
- Prepare summaries of exceptional IP and other agreement terms for escalation and approval by senior management
- Prepare budget forecasting and accruals reports for Technology Management & Innovation expenditures.
- Provide monthly reports to the Technology Management & Innovation Director and others summarizing the University IP and innovation metrics.
- Draft confidentiality, non-disclosure and inter-institutional agreements related to inventions and IP.
- Engage with Office of Sponsored Research as requested by Technology Managers, in the process of obtaining third party engagement such as MTAs and NDAs.
- Conduct periodic reviews of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with changes in jurisdictional regulations.
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
A Bachelor degree in business, marketing, science/engineering or related field.
- Expats: A minimum 12 years of relevant experience.
- UAE Nationals: A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job Type: Full-time