Lecturer in English Language - TESOL
School of Education and Social Sciences
Paisley Campus with travel to other campus locations as required
The Post: Lecturer in English Language / TESOL
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the School of Education and Social Sciences – Division of Education for an enthusiastic lecturer and TESOL educator.
Self-motivated and able to work as part of the Languages team, you will teach on our undergraduate English language and postgraduate TESOL programmes, provide in-sessional and pre-sessional English language support to students generally, and work on a range of other English language and TESOL courses.
The post holder will be involved in developing the curriculum within the School, coordinating modules within undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and will support PhD students.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- Professional diploma-level qualification in TESOL, or an initial TESOL qualification plus relevant Masters degree PhD in a relevant area, or progress towards such
- Extensive relevant teaching experience
- Experience of teaching a variety of pedagogic strategies within relevant subject area and educational context
- Experience of engaging with research
- Experience of co-ordinating learning and teaching in a relevant educational context
- Experience of collaborating with non-academic departments and commercial settings
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Education & Social Sciences at UWS combines sector-leading education provision with strong expertise in social science teaching and research in the west of Scotland and beyond. You will join a supportive and committed team, playing a crucial role in the School’s commitment to social justice and making a difference locally, nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from innovative, practice-focused and research-informed courses, and deep-rooted partnerships with leading organisations across the world.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- An additional day of annual leave to celebrate your Birthday
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Free gym membership
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
Interviews: Wednesday 19th July 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.