- Full time, continuing role as a Data Architect
- Design and lead initiatives that support delivery of data to enable impactful teaching and research
- Offering a competitive remuneration package including 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Data Architect will design and lead initiatives that support delivery of data to empower university staff to enable impactful teaching and research, drive sustainable performance, and deliver outstanding student experiences. This is a key role in developing strong stakeholder relationships to understand opportunities and challenges and support the University in implementing a Data Strategy that will enable data to be used to suit a broad range of purposes.
This role ensures operating activities comply with governance and controls, and the mitigation of risks, and will utilise experience, business acumen and problem-solving expertise to make decisions and recommendations on broad and complex issues which impact on the operations of the organisation. Your key responsibilities will be to:
- lead the development of data architecture design including development lifecycle of analytical data models, create and maintain conceptual, logical, and physical data models using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy for existing and new projects
- ensure data architecture simplifies the user experience and navigation of University data sources by ensuring projects are actively considering and developing data architecture as part of solution development and continually develop and refine the University approach to data architecture
- identify, analyse and model current and future state data architecture including identify gaps and all required artefacts such as logical and physical data models, data standards terminologies, classifications, and principles
- lead initiatives to uplift data literacy to enable better University and student outcomes by identifying and addressing opportunities to innovate the University's approach to data to maximise value and impact, whilst also protecting confidential and sensitive information
- apply a deep understanding of stakeholder needs and preferences, tailor delivery and approach to improve stakeholder experiences and maximise impact by guiding stakeholders to refine requests ensuring value and impact and, where requests cannot be supported, devise viable alternatives that meet stakeholder needs.
- bachelor degree in Computer Science and an equivalent combination of relevant training and experience
- experience managing and developing a technical team to ensure documentation and standards are maintained, projects are delivered in a timely manner and stakeholder requirements and strategic goals are met
- extensive experience in large scale Business intelligence and analytics projects within a complex data warehouse / data lake environment
- strong knowledge of Agile framework, CI/CD practices and Support Innovation and enablement
- extensive experience in big data platforms, data warehousing and interoperability between hybrid cloud and on-premises solutions
- strong hands-on technical experience working with Cloud data platform ecosystems and tools, and a range of ELT and ETL tools to support the liberation of data across the University
- exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and clients
- good understanding of strategic and new and emerging technology trends and demonstrated experience in the application of emerging trends to business problems
- willingness to experiment and innovate to discover creative solutions to current and future business problems
- ability to rapidly establish deep technical skills and expertise with new solutions
- exceptional time and workload management skills, demonstrating ability to prioritise effectively, multitask, and meet deadlines to achieve required outcomes
- exceptional technical leadership skills to support and provide creative solutions.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Kristy Fairweather, Recruitment Operations, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 18 June 2023 11:59 PM