Research Associate, Level ARAS
- Based in the STEM Unit at the Mawson Lakes campus
- Full-time (1.0FTE), fixed term contract 31 December 2025
- Salary Range: $93,165 - $99,759 per annum (plus 17% superannuation)
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development and clinical trialling of a brain tumour molecular imaging agent in collaboration with Adelaide-based cancer diagnostic company Ferronova and the Royal Adelaide Hospital. You will join a dynamic and cross-disciplinary research team led by Prof Benjamin Thierry at the Future Industries Institute.
To be successful in this role, you will have experience in polymer chemistry and in the development of copolymers and polymeric coatings, preferably for biomedical applications or nanotechnology.
In close collaboration with the Ferronova R&D team and collaborators at the University of Sydney, you will build on an existing RAFT copolymer platform to accelerate the development of nanoparticulate agents for image-guided cancer treatment. Within this position, you also will have opportunities to gain skills in the regulatory landscape associated to the development of pharmaceutical and diagnostic products.
The University of South Australia is Australia’s University of Enterprise. Our culture of innovation is anchored around global and national links to academic, research and industry partners. Our graduates are the new urban professionals, global citizens at ease with the world and ready to create and respond to change. Our research is inventive and adventurous and we create new knowledge that is central to global economic and social prosperity.
UniSA STEM links engineering, mathematics, science, defence and cybersecurity, environmental science, aviation, information technology, construction and project management, harnessing the connections across disciplines to bring big ideas to fruition. Our researchers are solution focused and collaborative to deliver technical expertise and advice to industry, government and community groups to make commercially viable and sustainable impacts. We integrate research into our teaching, with students working alongside researchers in first-class facilities, what’s discovered one day is taught the next. Our graduates are entrepreneurs and trailblazers, who design and build the world they want to live in. UniSA STEM also incorporates leading edge research organisations; the Future Industries Institute, the Australian Research Centre for Interactive and Virtual Environments and the Centre for Industrial Artificial Intelligence (AI).
The Future Industries Institute (the Institute) brings together world-class strength in high-tech manufacturing, nanomedicine, minerals and resource engineering plus environmental science, with the end goal of building economic growth through innovative partnerships and translational research. The Institute builds on the significant capability, infrastructure and reputation of the University’s existing research strengths and substantial research infrastructure and supports state and national research priorities.
- Undertake research under limited supervision to achieve project grant outcomes; i.e. develop a nanoformulation for image guided surgery and treatment
- Design and perform a range of experiments including appropriate controls to achieve planned research outcomes
- Prepare or contribute to the preparation of refereed journal publications, conference and seminar papers arising from the research
- Provide advice to post graduate students in the appointee’s area of expertise
- Undertake administrative duties associated with relevant research projects, as required from time to time
Essential Skills and Experience
- A postgraduate qualification in an appropriate Science or Engineering area relevant to the research area and/or relevant experience
- Experience in polymer chemistry/polymer synthesis
- Experience in polymeric coatings
- Evidence of high-quality research output commensurate with the length of research career, which is published and presented in appropriate forums
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated through written work such as research reports, research publications and educational materials, and through effective liaison with external partners, colleagues and students
Getting a great job working with the best is just the start. UniSA rewards its staff with a wide variety of benefits such as:
- Access to great personal development opportunities
- Flexible working conditions
- Staff study support
- Various on-site services available at our campuses which may include on-site gym membership
- A variety of leave arrangements
As a University of Enterprise, we offer a dynamic and agile workplace culture, one that embraces challenges and thrives on breaking new ground. Our staff are creative and innovative thinkers, communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. We embrace diversity and inclusion in a vibrant, engaging environment. Our people are authentic, resilient, and influential, and we deliver results.
How to Apply
For a copy of the position description and to apply, please visit Working at UniSA. The online application form will list the specific selection criteria that you need to address.
Please address your cover letter to Emma Kelvin, Consultant: Recruitment Central. For further information about the position or the recruitment process, please contact UniSA Recruitment Central on +61 8 8302 1700 or via email at email@example.com using job reference number 5266.
Applications close: 11:30 pm Sunday 9 July 2023
How to apply:
Applications must be lodged online, please note UniSA does not accept applications via email.
- Start your application by clicking the ‘BEGIN’ button
- If you have already registered for an account, please login before starting your application
- If you have forgotten your log in details, click here to reset your password
UniSA is committed to developing a diverse workforce and a constructive enterprising culture in which everyone can thrive.
For further support, contact Recruitment Central on +61 8 8302 1700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive a response within one working day.