Research Fellow (Biological Sciences)
The successful candidate will work with Project Investigator on the shelf-life extension of leafy greens under a project on Sustainable Urban Food Production. The project will also focus on preserving the nutritive quality of fresh produce during storage.
The main responsibilities of the position include:
The Research Scholar will support various research activities of the project.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI, and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables are met.
- Plan, manage and conduct pre- and post-harvest evaluation trials in the indoor environment
- Collect and analyze data and other factors affecting plant growth
- Develop procedures and techniques in improving the efficiency of plant growth
- Work independently in managing trials and in a team to ensure the smooth execution of the project
- Provide regular updates to PI and other research staff and prepare progress reports
- Carry out procurement, including liaising with vendors, sourcing materials, equipment, and testing, and raising purchase requests.
- Other duties to support research activities, as needed
Qualifications / Discipline:
- A Ph.D. degree in Biological Sciences/ Agricultural Sciences/ horticulture, Environment Science, or any related field with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in research related to any of the following areas eg. hydroponics, plant physiology, photobiology, biochemical analysis of plants for nutrient content.
- Excellence in plant growth and development, and plant biochemistry
- Experience in conducting and managing research projects.
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Good scientific writing skills and excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team
- Proficient in IT skills
- Preferably good knowledge of growing plants in hydroponics /substrate, and plant physiological response to environmental stimuli would be an added advantage.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: [[Kent Ridge Campus]]
Organization: [[National University of Singapore]]
Department : [[Department of Biological Sciences]]
Employee Referral Eligible: [[No]]
Job requisition ID : 19075