Assistant Professor for Department of Chinese Studies
Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Department: Department of Chinese Studies, Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University
Working time: 0,5
Start date: September 1, 2023
Number of open positions: 1
Application deadline: 22. 6. 2023
We are looking for a colleague to join the Department of Chinese Studies as an assistant professor with a focus on Chinese linguistics and Chinese language teaching.
Expected job description:
- teaching in a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme - 2 to 3 courses per semester
- supervising, consulting and opposing bachelor and master theses
- participation in the organizational support of pedagogical activities, in particular supervision of language lecturers
- participation in publishing activities, especially for educational purposes, preparation of study and teaching materials
- membership in the state final examination committees
- management of qualification works
- publication of results in peer-reviewed journals, scientific monographs or peer-reviewed proceedings (at least 1 academic article per year placed in WoS, Scopus, or otherwise demonstrating comparable quality)
- active participation in domestic and foreign scientific conferences and professional meetings and presentation of research results
- active pursuit of grant projects
- contribute to the provision of operational and administrative activities related to the agreed type of work as directed by the Head of Department
- routine administrative tasks in the administration of own courses, use of e-learning and communication with students via the MU Information System
- participation in the organisational support of research and teaching activities, including related administration
Requirements for applicants:
- Ph.D. degree and research focus on Chinese linguistics and Chinese language teaching
- existing academic publications
- experience of teaching Chinese at university
- academic publishing in English
- experience of active presentation at an international scientific conference
- at least five years of experience in teaching Chinese language
- native speaker of Czech or Slovak language (or knowledge at native speaker level) - a requirement
- standard academic English language skills (ability to communicate fluently in English in an international academic environment - oral communication and writing/reading) - a requirement
- ability to carry out academic research based on sources in Chinese (to be evidenced by a published academic article) - a requirement
Work environment (fill in only information specific to your workplace)
- employment in a prestigious institution that has won the international HR Excellence in Research Award
- openness to suggestions in the field of teaching, science and popularisation of the programme
- convenient location of the faculty in the city centre
- a friendly approach to reconciling work and personal life
- 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, flexible working hours with the possibility to work partly from home for better work life balance, meal allowance in the salary or for meals in canteens, pension insurance contribution, selected vaccinations free of charge, favourable mobile tariffs Vodafone, Multisport card, sports lessons organized by the Faculty of Sports Studies, the possibility to place your child in the nursery school Elánek near the faculty.
Training and Development
- Opportunities for training and personal development, e.g., language and other courses provided by MU, use of MU libraries, use of placements and mobilities abroad, participation in conferences, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application via the electronic application link by 22. 6. 2023 (please use the link in the Electronic Application section below) and please attach all required documents.
The following documents are required as part of your application:
- a cover letter specifying the area of research interest
- a structured CV with an overview of previous experience
- copies of proof of education
- overview of scientific and publishing activities
Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation of acceptance to your e-mail address. After the e-application deadline, you will receive information about the next steps.
If you are unsure, please contact the FF MU Personnel Office: Mgr. Eva Brázdová Urbanová, e-mail: email@example.com, tel.: +420 549 49 5227
- submitting of all required documents in the e-application
- compliance of the candidate's profile with the requirements for the job as stated above
Provision of the required documents when submitting the e-application:
In case of non-delivery of documents when submitting the e-application, the candidate may be asked to provide them at most once by a certain date. If they fail to submit the materials by this deadline, they will not be included in the next round of the selection procedure.
Suitable candidates will be invited to a personal interview, which may also take the form of a videoconference.
Selection procedures rules at the Faculty of Arts of MU can be found on our careers page here.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY, THE FACULTY AND THE DEPARTMENT
Masaryk University is the second largest university in the Czech Republic, with 10 faculties and a number of other specialized units, more than 6,000 employees and 32,000 students. We are a university with a wide range of research areas in the humanities and natural sciences and a strong international position. Our mission is to provide education and research of the highest quality.
The Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University is one of the four founding faculties of Masaryk University and since its foundation in 1919 it has been not only an important centre of humanities and social science education, science, research and development, but also an institution that actively participates in shaping the cultural life of the city and the region.
Traditionally, it has been profiled as a research-oriented faculty generating approximately one fifth of MU's research volume. The faculty has more than 600 employees and by the student population of over 6,000 is the largest faculty at the university.
Since 2021, the faculty has been the proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission.
You can find out more information about the faculty on the website https://www.phil.muni.cz/en/ or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FacultyofArtsMasarykUniversity.
For information on HR work set according to European standards, visit the HR Award faculty website:
The Department of Chinese Studies is a department of the Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University, which provides teaching in the Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Chinese Studies. The Department of Chinese Studies is one of three Sinology departments at Czech universities. It offers intensive teaching of modern Chinese and the study of Chinese culture in all its aspects (society, politics, history, Chinese thought, literature). The programme focuses on modern China, but with an emphasis on knowledge of traditional Chinese culture. A wide range of scholarships are available for students to study in China or Taiwan. The Department of Chinese Studies also regularly organizes summer schools, international conferences and workshops, and other interesting activities outside the actual study program.
Contact person at the workplace for any questions applicants may have about the position:
Mgr. et Mgr. Dušan Vávra, Ph.D., firstname.lastname@example.org, +420 776 039 515