Lecturer in Linguistics
Job no: 0059374
Role type: Full time; Continuing
Start Date: 1 February 2024
Department/School: School of Languages and Linguistics
Salary: Level B – $114,645 – $136,136 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About - Faculty of Arts
The University of Melbourne's Faculty of Arts offers courses in 40 Humanities and Social Sciences disciplines, taught by highly-regarded international academic staff. The faculty comprises over 450 academic and professional staff, and a diverse student body of 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, as well as a large alumni community. The Faculty values diversity and inclusion, with gender parity across all levels and support programs including childcare and mentoring initiatives, and a Divisional Indigenous Development Plan.
About the Role
The School of Languages and Linguistics at the University of Melbourne seeks a Lecturer to contribute to teaching at undergraduate, honours, and postgraduate levels and undertake research in Linguistics. The role involves coordinating subjects, conducting lectures and tutorials, supervising students, and undertaking related administration. The ideal candidate will have a record of high-quality linguistic research, teaching experience, and expertise in the field.
- Preparation and delivery of lectures, tutorials and seminars as appropriate to the School’s requirements and in line with Faculty of Arts minimum thresholds for teaching satisfaction
- High quality publications arising from scholarship and research in line with the Faculty of Arts minimum expectations
- Submission of grant applications to support research activities in line with the Faculty of Arts minimum expectations
- Active engagement in service, leadership and coordination roles in the discipline, School and Faculty demonstrating respectful, inclusive behaviours at all times and building trust amongst colleagues
Join our University community to prepare students for success as global leaders, conduct impactful research, collaborate with local and global communities, and advance both the University and the City of Melbourne. Be part of a diverse and vibrant team committed to excellence and making a difference.
You will possess excellent teaching skills and the ability to contribute to course/subject development, along with strong communication skills to work collaboratively as part of a team. Additionally, you will demonstrate a strong commitment to the Faculty's values, including diversity and inclusion.
You will also have:
- A completed PhD in Linguistics
- Ability to supervise Honours and Research Higher Degree students
- Ability to develop research synergies aligning with and enhancing current research strengths of the School
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications close: 30 June 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time
Position description: Position Description