Research Associate / Research Fellow, Oceans Graduate School
- A unique opportunity to join an integral project focussed on seasonal marine heatwave forecasts
- Full-time appointment on an 18-month fixed term basis. Flexible work arrangements can be offered
- Base salary range: Level A $74,236 – $99,905 p.a. (pro-rata) or Level B $105,043 – $124,301 p.a plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Oceans Graduate School (OGS) engages in multidisciplinary fundamental and applied research to find solutions for the critical issues facing our oceans, coasts and estuaries. The School runs a number of nationally significant research programs and houses several major research facilities, including the Coastal and Offshore Engineering Laboratory, the National Geotechnical Centrifuge Facility, and a number of labs and field infrastructure within the Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre that also co-houses Australia’s national marine research agencies (CSIRO and AIMS on the UWA campus).
About the opportunity
As a Research Associate or Research Fellow you will have the opportunity to develop and validate a sub seasonal and seasonal ocean temperature statistical downscaling forecast technique for the Western Australia coastal region.
As the project sits within a larger multi-disciplinary project, you will work collaboratively with other researchers and students in the research team of the project and promote the project outcomes through publications and presentations.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD in data science, physical oceanography, coastal/ocean engineering, or a related field.
- Strong computational, statistical and numerical analysis skills, e.g., experience with scientific programming languages such as Python, expertise in using machine learning algorithms, familiarity with Linux and high-performance computing facilities and handling large data-sets.
- Highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to mentor Honours and Research Higher Degree students
To be considered for the level B Research Fellow role, you will additionally demonstrate:
- Previous postdoctoral research experience with demonstrable research outcomes
- Strong track record of high-quality peer-reviewed publications
- Demonstrated ability to mentor Research Higher Degree students
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Fellow 514468.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Thursday, 15 June 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Dr Nicole Jones at email@example.com
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.