Research Associate in the Division of Engineering (Advanced Membrane Technology), Dr. Raed Hashaikeh
The New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Research Associate under the supervision of Dr. Raed Hashaikeh, Professor of Mechanical Engineering. The project aims to develop advanced, functional membranes for desalination, at bench-level and on a pilot-scale. The Research Associate will join a team of researchers and graduate students from various sub-fields, and will have access to state-of-the-art research facilities in the Water Research Center (WRC). The appointed Research Associate will work on synthesize and characterize UF/NF membranes. Additionally, Develop catalytic membranes for pollutant degradation, water treatment, and water purification applications. The candidate should also contribute to the synthesis, fabrication, and design of the membrane process.
- Conduct research on the development of novel functional materials to assist membrane-based desalination such as reverse osmosis, forward osmosis, nanofiltration and membrane distillation
- Synthesis/Fabricate functional membranes for effective removal/recovery of toxic/precious heavy metal ions for water purification
- Design, analyze, and characterize membranes in NF/UF filtration setup
- The candidate should have well knowledge of membrane characterization methods
- The candidate will be required develop desk, field, and/or lab-based studies to explore issues and address challenges related to desalination, and post-desalination treatments
- Take part in generating reports, drafting patents, authoring publications, and attending conferences
- Prepare data for presentation at lab and departmental meetings and/or conferences
- Performing analyses in collaboration with other researchers locally and internationally
- Limited teaching activities
- PhD in Chemical, Materials Science, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering; PhD must have been completed before July 2020
- Minimum 3 years of Post-doctoral fellowship experience in the related field
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative, supportive team culture encouraging trust and cooperation among all team members
- Detail-oriented and well organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Candidates are also required to have first-author publication experience
- Has published peer reviewed articles in the field of study
- An overall knowledge of all technical aspects of research laboratory science is essential, including but not limited to
- Research experience in membrane fabrication methods and familiarization with common membrane characterization tools such as XRD, TGA, DSC, DMA, BET, porometer, etc.
- Prior expertise in analytical chemistry is an asset
- Prior expertise in membrane fabrication and testing methods is essential
- Prior experience in organic chemistry
This position will begin on September 01, 2023, and renewable depending on performance. This position will be based at New York University in Abu Dhabi, and the candidate must be ready to relocate to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The terms of employment are very competitive and include housing and educational subsidies for children. Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, applicants must submit a 1-2-page cover letter that responds to the required and desired experiences described above, current CV with publication list (publications may also be uploaded), a one-page summary of research accomplishments and interests, transcript of degree and 2 recommendation letters, all in PDF format submitted via Interfolio.
Questions regarding specifics for this position may be directed to Professor Raed Hashaikeh at email@example.com
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.