Postdoctoral Research Associate in Additive Manufacturing
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Sydney, Australia
- $100,717 + 17% superannuation
- 25 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 25 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate, Professional Services, Research & Innovation
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time fixed term for 2 years
- Based in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering, Darlington Campus
- Base Salary, Level A, $100,717 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The research associate will undertake experimental research to further the understanding in physical metallurgy of additive manufacturing processes through advanced microscopy techniques. Our research direction is towards creating engineered functional microstructures via additive manufacturing of metal alloys. This position will be supported through external project funding and the candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Simon Ringer. The successful candidate will contribute to Australia's academic and industrial manufacturing capability via improved knowledge of additively manufactured novel materials.
This postdoctoral research associate will be based at the Australian Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis (ACMM). The academic home of this role is in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (AMME) in the Faculty of Engineering at The University of Sydney.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- produce high quality research outputs consistent with the requirement of the project milestones and deliverables
- disseminate research results through preparation of reports, journal publications and conference presentations
- contribute to the effective supervision of honours and PhD students
- liaise with project sponsors and other stakeholders in experimental planning, execution and analysis of results
- provide necessary support to academic and technical staff in the team as needed.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD in Material Science, Engineering, or a related discipline
- skills in materials characterisation, including proficiency in optical microscopy, scanning probe microscopy (SPM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and the associated analysis, for example energy dispersive spectroscopy and/or electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD), focused ion beam (FIB), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and atom probe tomography (APT)
- specialised skills in utilising both analytical and computational methods to analyse and interpret microstructure data
- high-level written, communication, technical presentation skills
- experience working independently as well as collaboratively with project and industry participants
- experience in supervising students at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Please include a CV, and a Cover Letter addressing the selection criteria located in the 'About You' section of the advertisement.
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Linden Joseph or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, by email to email@example.com.
Copyright The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 25 June 2023 11:59 PM