Lecturer - Complex Systems
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth (Suburb), Western Australia (AU)
- $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
- 25 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Apply your teaching and research expertise to a project evaluating and monitoring animal welfare
- Full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 4 years
- Level B, Base salary range: $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
Complex Systems research and the Complex Systems Group in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics is world-renowned for their work in the data-driven application of Complex Systems and Dynamical Systems Theory to real word problems. Members are currently involved in collaborative research projects including the Australian Research Council Industrial Transformation Training Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science, the Australian Research Council Industrial Transformation Research Hub for Transforming Energy Infrastructure Through Digital Engineering, the Medical Research Fund project to Transform Indigenous Mental Health and Well-being, and the iMove Cooperative Research Centre. The focus of this project will be on research funded through the appointment of the CSIRO-UWA Chair of Complex Systems and the Australian Research Council Discovery Project TSuNAMi: Time Series Network Animal Modelling.
The CSIRO-UWA Chair of Complex Systems was established as a collaborative venture between UWA and CSIRO in 2016 and continues to drive the development of research in the area of Complex Systems between UWA and CSIRO’s Mineral Resources. TsuNAMi seeks to apply time series methods to the evaluation and monitoring of animal well-being.
About the opportunity
As a Lecturer you will undertake innovative teaching and high-quality research that contributes to the CSIRO-UWA collaboration in Complex Systems and to the TsuNAMi project.
As a passionate advocate for teaching excellence, you will provide a high-quality student experience. You will develop and deliver undergraduate and masters curricula with a focus on Applied Mathematics and Complex Systems and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students.
You will conduct high impact research including publications in high impact journals and develop and maintain a strong, internationally recognized research programme synergistic with the existing Complex Systems research within the School.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Applied Mathematics, Complex Systems or an equivalent relevant field
- An outstanding research and publication track relative to opportunity in a relevant field
- Research expertise in an area complementary to the schools existing Complex Systems research.
- Previous experience supervising higher degree by research students
- Teaching and learning expertise in the discipline of mathematics and complex systems and a track record in course development that enhances the student experience
- Evidence of a significant role in outreach and community engagement activities, communicating the relevance and importance of mathematics to a broad audience
- Highly developed communication skills with an ability to work independently and as part of a team
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Lecturer-Complex Systems 514248.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Thursday, 8 June 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Michael Small at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.