Post-Doctoral Associate in the Division of Engineering (Mechanical), Dr. Raed Hashaikeh
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 25 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 24 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The New York University Abu Dhabi is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to work under the supervision of Dr. Raed Hashaikeh, Professor of Mechanical Engineering. The Postdoctoral Fellow will be required to work on the development of new and modified electrodialysis process to address desalination and water treatment needs of the local industry. S/he will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the NYUAD-WRC, and will get an opportunity to work alongside graduate students, postdocs and other researchers from various backgrounds and diverse cultural ethnicity.
The appointed Postdoctoral Associate will work on Electrodialysis and development of ion exchange membranes for water treatment/water purification applications. The project is focused on chemical-free ED configurations in hybrid desalination schemes. For selected cases, an ED stack configuration will be designed and tested. The selectivity needed to obtain the multiple concentrate streams will be reached by applying selective membranes (e.g. bi-polar, monovalent/divalent selective membranes) and by controlling operational conditions. The project is aimed at modification of system design, geared by fundamentals of electrochemical processes.
The terms of employment are very competitive and include housing and educational subsidies for children. Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcript of degree, a one-page summary of research accomplishments and interests, and at least 2 letters of recommendation, all in PDF format. For questions, please contact: email@example.com
- Work alongside peers with unique and creative backgrounds in Electrodialysis, electrochemistry, electrochemical systems, and materials science engineering.
- Conduct research on the development of novel ion exchange membranes (IEMs) for electrodialysis.
- Design and analyze IEMs in electrodialysis setup.
- Familiar with the electrochemical techniques such as cyclic voltammetry, electrolysis and ionic conductivity.
- Study with due diligence the possibility of extension of lab-scale processes and advanced materials for pilot-sized applications.
- The candidate will be required to develop desk, field, and/or lab-based studies to explore issues and address challenges related to electrochemical setups for water desalination.
- Take part in writing grants, drafting patents and attending conferences.
- Train new lab personnel on lab methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures.
- Drafting SOPs and risk-assessments for laboratory equipment and chemicals.
- Performing analyses in collaboration with senior scientists locally and internationally
- Coordinate the pursuit of funding opportunities to support external collaboration and supplement internal research efforts
- A PhD in either Chemical engineering or related disciplinary.
- At least 2-3 years of research experience as postdoc (or related) in the field of research.
- Working knowledge on electrochemical setups such as Potentiostat/Galvanostat.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers; high impact first-author publications.
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative, supportive team culture encouraging trust and cooperation among all team members
- Detail-oriented and well organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple projects with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and other trainees
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Prior expertise in electrochemical methods is essential.
- Prior experience in electrodialysis or capacitive deionization.
- Lead or conduct complex projects involving multiple disciplines or business units.
- Analyze, interpret and summarize electrochemical data
- Experience in modelling for desalination processes
- Experience in conducting literature reviews, systematic reviews, scoping reviews, rapid reviews, or critical reviews
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.