Director Health & Safety (Operations)
Health, Safety and Risk
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: Competitive: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience (Level 7)
Closing Date: Tuesday 13 June 2023
Irwin and Colton are delighted to be partnering with the University of Southampton to identify a Director of Health and Safety. With over 29,000 students and staff, the University has a diverse estate specialising in science, research and development, engineering, medicine, technology and business.
The University’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in science globally. This role will focus on supporting and maintaining a programme of continual improvement in the management of Health and Safety across the organisation.
Responsibilities for the Director of Health and Safety will include:
- Supporting on Health and Safety risk management to ensure an accurate understanding of the Health and Safety risk profile
- Leading the operational Health and Safety function to ensure that effective and efficient procedures are in place to identify, measure and report on Health and Safety related risks
- Ensuring that the communication of Health and Safety risks are delivered to the key stakeholders
- Elevating the Health and Safety management culture across the University so that it becomes a key component of the overall University ethos
The successful Director of Health and Safety will have:
- Experience in leading a health and safety function and team, ideally in the education or public sector
- A NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent and ideally Chartered Membership of a relevant industry body (i.e. CMIOSH)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with experience influencing and engaging with a wide range of senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of the Health and Safety regulatory framework
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a journey with an established University within the UK. For further information, please contact Emily Flynn on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01923 433 289 to discuss further and apply.
The University of Southampton and Irwin and Colton are focused on embedding equality, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. As part of this, we encourage applicants from all communities, particularly those from under-represented groups.