Professor, Dean of Design School
School: Design School
Position: Professor, Dean of Design School
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Advertisement Closing Date: June 23rd 2023
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has about 22,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DESIGN SCHOOL
Founded in 2020, the Design School consists of the Department of Architecture, Department of Civil Engineering, Department of Industrial Design and Department of Urban Planning and Design. The Design School amalgamates, in a unique framework, a diverse range of design subjects with various forms and expressions in a multidisciplinary setting. Its purpose is to educate the future generation of designers with a perspective on digital design and sustainable development and to become a crucible for innovation and intellectual freedom in design education.
The Dean serves as the Head of School, providing leadership and support to the strategic development of Departments within the School. The role plays a key representative role for the School within the university and externally, reports directly to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs for the operation of the School. The main duties of the role include:
- Daily operation and administration in the School
- Providing visionary academic leadership in the strategic development of the School
- Developing appropriate strategies for Learning and Teaching, Research and Impact in line with University strategies and overseeing the delivery of excellent learning and teaching, research, and enterprise engagement activities in the School
- Managing the academic and support teams as well as the resources allocated to the School
- Personnel decisions including recruitment, discipline, retention, contract termination, etc. in the School
- Enhancing and developing the profile of the School locally, nationally and internationally
- A Ph.D. holder in a relevant subject from a world-renowned university.
- Have rich experience in research, academic leadership, financial management, strategic planning, people management, as well as senior academic management experience in a university, research institution or similar functions/areas.
- Have credibility amongst academic leaders and external partners, personal authority and the ability to take key strategic decisions and represent the institution at a senior level.
- Be familiar with and observe Chinese and UK rules and regulations of higher education.
- Have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Have administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
COPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the international market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on XJTLU career website:
Applications must be submitted that includes 3parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level)
- Contact details for three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Vice President of Academic Affairs Prof. Zhoulin Ruan at email@example.com. Informal enquiries maybe addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yang at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.