Education / Indigenous Support Officer
- Full time / fixed term role until July 2025
- Identified position: an opportunity to provide a broad range of education administrative and operational support to academic and teaching staff to meet the educational (teaching and curriculum) support needs of the faculty
- Base Salary $91,644 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is now ranked 38th in the world for 2022 university rankings, moving up 5 places in the last year. Our graduate employability is 1st in Australia, and 4th in the world; our subject rankings in Medicine are rated 1st in Australia, and 18th in the world.
As such, we are in a period of exciting and significant investment in our Faculty of Medicine and Health and in order to deliver on the University's ambitious strategic plan, we are seeking an Indigenous Education Support Officer to provide a broad range of education administrative and operational support to Academic and Teaching staff to meet the educational (teaching and curriculum) support needs of the Faculty, including the coordination of the compilation of academic content and materials prepared by Academic and Teaching staff for programs of study in indigenous health, for printed publications and/or uploading to Canvas/online systems.
Please note that Aboriginal heritage is a genuine qualification for this position and is authorised under Section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- coordinate the compilation of academic content and materials prepared by academic and teaching staff for programs of study in indigenous health for printed publications and/or uploading to Canvas/online systems
- provide cultural and pastoral support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to navigate university systems and processes
- provide education support services in line with academic requirements and the overall timetable for the work area
- ensure compliance with relevant legislative and regulatory controls and ensures a safe working environment for all staff and students
- provide specialised student support and pastoral care and provide logistical support for student travel, allowances and accommodation and facilitate collaborative arrangements with the various Indigenous support Units across the University
- provide a broad range of education (learning and curriculum) support for the work area and its academic and teaching staff.
- strong problem-solving and exceptional organisational skills with the ability to use initiative and exercise sound judgment, along with the ability to prioritise workload during busy periods
- be extremely fluid-like, adaptable, and agile to support different work areas of the faculty
- highly developed, nuanced interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders including internal and external customers and suppliers, and University students
- demonstrated client focus with strong stakeholder engagement capability to enable the delivery of successful outcomes.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
As this position is located on an NSW Health site, it is a regulatory requirement to complete compulsory employment checks prior to starting in this position. For more information and instructions, please visit: NSW Health employment requirements
This position is designated as involving child-related work. To undertake or remain in this position, you are required to apply for and obtain a Working with Children Check clearance in accordance with the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Esra Yavuzcehre, Recruitment Consultant, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Wednesday 07 June 2023 11:59 PM