Program Director / Senior Research Scientist, Epidemiologist
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 22 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 21 Jun 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Job Title: Program Director / Senior Research Scientist - Epidemiologist
Reporting Line: co-PI, Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (AD-PRAMS); and PI of AD-PRAMS
Department: College of Medicine and Health Sciences
Program Director – Epidemiologist of the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS) to be the operational lead of the said research initiative.
- Responsible for smooth running of day to day activities of study team
- Responsible for liaison with all hospital and health service stakeholders involved in this study
- Responsible for supervision of entire Study team in liaison with Study co-PIs and in partnership with Study Program Manager
Expected of this Role:
- Oversee the collection and analysis data through observations, interviews, and surveys, database sampling to identify key drivers of health related issues
- Communicate findings research team, health practitioners, policymakers, and the public via the CMHS research program
- Direct assigned public health/epidemiological programs during all phases of research program, monitoring progress, analysing data, and seeking ways to improve the programs in order to improve public health outcomes
- Supervise professional, technical, and clerical personnel
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Drive the formulation of the research project’s overall strategy, as well as multi-year Research plans ensuring they promote leading practices and research excellence.
- Develop and manage the Research project' budgets; monitor the performance of budgets and report on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly. The University Sponsored Research Office will support this activity.
- Plan, support oversee and direct epidemiological field based studies related to public health problems as assigned with appropriate sampling techniques
- Directs, coordinates, reviews and evaluates surveillance and epidemiology programs and activities for the PRAMS program to include but not limited to sampling frame and stratification practices, field team oversight and day to day practices, data team support, data oversight and collection, statistical analyses, maternal and child health metrics, report drafting with study co-PIs
- Reviews procedures; serves as a resource and technical consultant on to departmental officials, physicians, nurses, the public, and other agencies involved in the study.
- Oversees interviews and team selection of job applicants as requested, responds to work issues, prepares documentation and improvement plans for any deficiencies.
- Ensures policies, procedures and protocols for the epidemiology PRAMS programs and activities are aligned to ensure smooth research operations.
- Oversees and manages grant applications, directs appropriate use of grant funds; monitors contracts
- Manages professional, technical, and clerical personnel
- Provides technical and scientific expertise for programs in the areas of communicable disease, chronic disease and environmental epidemiology.
- Designs, conducts and reports on the epidemiological study of diseases, collects and analyzes data and develops health education materials.
- Manages and participates in investigations and surveys that have national and international impact.
- Conducts program research and prepares operational and statistical reports.
- Serves as a liaison to and works with other groups and organizations participating in related programs.
- Draft, Collaborate, support and deliver on articles/reports for publication.
- Support international health diplomacy strategies and activities, such as the planning, coordination and hosting of international conferences and workshops related to diseases
- Ensures that epidemiologic data is collected through laboratory audit and medical record reviews in multiple health systems as directed.
- Manages, the surveillance and study data in databases derived from our field and data curation teams
- Analyses data in software packages such as SPSS, STATA, SAS or R.
- Produces data, reports, and presentations for external partners, as well as for internal use.
- Communicates with partnered medical facilities to collect and verify clincial and epidemiological information recieved.
- Performs related program area responsibilities as required.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Study Co-PIs and the line managers.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Provide academic leadership to research teams, including the development of teams, resolving any conflicts between teams, and ensuring that work is coordinated and carried out effectively.
- Line manage own research teams as appropriate, and act as personal mentor to peers and colleagues.
Qualifications & Experience
- MD/MBBS and/or PhD in Epidemiology
- Prior leadership role in longitudinal studies and cross-sectional studies
- Applied Field Surveillance Epidemiologist with PhD in subject area
- Background in and experience of large scale epidemiological longitudinal/cross sectional studies.
- Prior leadership role in longitudinal studies
- Additional Master’s Degree in Public Health or related field from an accredited school or at least in a field related to the program with a three (3) or more years of direct experience conducting infectious disease surveillance and epidemiologic analyses.
- Five (5) or more years in epidemiology speciality preferred
- Medical record review experience
- Database management skills, particularly RedCap
- SPSS, STATA, SAS and/or R experience in Epidemiology or health department experience
- Experience with study design, study enrolment, study management, troubleshooting
- Proven extensive experience of sampling techniques/methodologies, sampling frames and stratification statistical methodologies essential
- Regional, national or international experience in medical education Public Health / Epidemiology
- Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, improving healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate to the requirements.
- Familiarity or experience with Middle East Healthcare research programs
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Senior Research Scientist
Job Type: Full-time