Assistant Dean Clinical Skills and Simulation Training
Job Title: Assistant Dean, Clinical Skills & Simulation Training
Reporting Line: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS)
Department: College of Medicine and Health Sciences
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Assistant Dean of Clinical Skills & Simulation Training at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) assists the Associate Dean in providing administrative leadership, policy development, and implementation of programs in the areas of curriculum and student assessment and evaluation, clinical skills and simulation training.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
This role is expected to
- Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS’s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of medical education, clinical skills, simulation training, and medical student assessment and evaluation.
- Contribute to development of the CMHS’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting of leading practices and educational excellence
- Contribute to the development and management of the office budget
- Manage and mentor staff within the office
Leadership for developing and maintaining CMHS educational programs:
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, provides leadership for the CMHS Clinical Skills and Simulation Training Program
- Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s education mission
- Works with the Dean and Associate to establish and revise education policies and processes contained in the medical student handbook
- Ensures that academic programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
- Ensures the activities of the office are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and other departments and offices within KU and the CMHS, participates in design, implementation, management and evaluation of clinical skills and medical simulation training
- Serves as a voting member on the CMHS Curriculum Committee
- Works with the Period Directors, course directors, strand leaders, and other CMHS offices to create the academic calendar and course schedules
- Reviews and ensures accuracy, completeness, and timely submission of course syllabi
- Serves as Clinical Medicine Strand Leader and the Clinical Skills I Course Director
- Works with the Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs to assign students to community preceptors
- Ensures timely submission of medical student grades and evaluations from course directors in the clinical medicine strand; participates in writing medical student performance evaluations
- Working with the Director of Student Academic Support Services, supervises programs and services designed to improve the academic and clinical performance of medical students, including preparation for the USMLE step 2 CS
- Provides reports to the Dean and Associate Deans to inform and improve academic and administrative processes (e.g. recruitment and admissions)
- Assists in developing policies and procedures of the CMHS; assists with routine updates of CMHS Medical Student Handbook
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
- Supports and mentors office faculty and staff who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Assists in scheduling and assigning staff workload in the Office of Medical Education
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- Provides coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommends appropriate training courses as per pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness, and monitors their results.
- Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
Qualifications & Experience
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher
- Prior leadership role in undergraduate medical education
- Regional, national or international recognition in medical education and/or simulation training
- Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate of Assistant Professor or above.
- Strong record reflecting excellence in medical education and administration.
- Prior experience working as a clinical skills director in a MD program
- Proven management experience, requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Demonstrable ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities that are sufficient to effectively direct and develop staff and students.
- Supervising clinical curriculum design and development in an undergraduate medical education program
- Familiarity or experience with an education institution in the Middle East.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Assistant Dean
Job Type: Full-time