Postdoctoral Fellowship in Modelling and Verification of Sustainable Plus Energy Neighbourhoods
About the job
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The syn.ikia project is an innovation action that aims to increase the share of sustainable neighbourhoods with surplus renewable energy in different contexts and climates in Europe. A key output of the project are four real-life demo neighbourhoods in Norway, Spain, Austria, and the Netherlands.
The overall aim of the EU-funded ARV project is to demonstrate and validate attractive, resilient, and affordable solutions that significantly speed-up deep energy renovations and deployment of energy and climate measures in the construction and energy industries.
The Postdoctoral fellowship will pursue the following objectives:
- Verify the performance of plus energy buildings and neighbourhoods in different contexts and climates
- Develop digital methods and tools, including visualization platforms, integrated as Digital Twins at the neighbourhood level
- Assess the flexibility potential based on buildings’ components and climate data
- Optimize the use of the produced energy from renewable energy sources and quantify the potential
Your immediate leader is Head of Department.
Duties of the position
The tasks will include:
- Dynamic energy modelling and monitoring of plus energy buildings. Measurements of the imported and exported energy to evaluate if the designed performance is achieved.
- Strategies for connecting the building components and energy systems with neighbourhood energy systems to unlock the flexibility potential
- Monitoring and analysis of indoor climate parameters obtained at the plus energy buildings and neighbourhoods
- Management of related data and deliverables in syn.ikia and ARV projects
The postdoctoral work will focus on the verification of the plus energy balance and energy flexibility at the building and neighbourhood level. The work will include modelling, co-simulations techniques and monitoring procedures. You will contribute to the analysis and optimization of the energy flows between buildings and shared infrastructures, as for example the electrical grid and the on-site renewable systems.
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in Sustainable Architecture, Building Physics, Energy, or Environmental or Civil Engineering. If you can document that the PhD thesis has been submitted, your application can be assessed even if you have not yet defended your dissertation. Documentation of the obtained doctoral degree must be presented before you can take up the position.
We look for a candidate with:
- Knowledge in integrated energy design of zero emission/energy buildings
- Knowledge in monitoring and dynamic modeling techniques of buildings
- Knowledge in urban simulation tools
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Ph.D Candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate.
Preferred selection criteria
- A strong interest for multi-disciplinary analysis of building components, as well as, for integrated design, modelling and monitoring of energy/environmental performance of buildings and neighbourhoods.
- Good written and oral English language skills
- Candidates familiar with the domain of Zero Emission/Positive energy Buildings and Neighbourhoods
- Experience from international cooperation
- Ability to work as part of cross disciplinary research team
- Experience in research projects
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 575 400 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- A cover letter where the applicant describes the personal motivation to fill the position
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- List of publications
- Research plan or project proposal (max 3 pages incl. references), indicating your view of the main research challenges in the area of the position, the methodological approach and how this is relevant to their own background and the above research objectives.
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 3 works)
- Name and email address of three referees
Uncomplete application will not be considered.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality. (tas bort hvis ikke aktuelt)
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Niki Gaitani, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Inger Andresen email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Natalia Swahn, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 23.06.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Architecture and Technology
Our goal is to develop coherent and sustainable architecture of high quality. We work with form, theory and history, building materials and building structures, and energy-efficient and sustainable buildings. Our activities also include the preservation and development of traditional building craft skills. The Department of Architecture and Technology is one of four departments in the Faculty of Architecture and Design.
Deadline 23rd June 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service