Postdoctoral Fellow in Asia Research Institute
The Asia Research Institute invites outstanding, active researchers from around the world, to work on an important piece of Asia-centred research in the social sciences or humanities.
Apart from the quality of the research proposal, and the applicant’s publication track record, positions will be awarded on the basis of the relationship of their research topic to the identified priorities and themes of ARI’s research clusters as listed in Research Clusters and Their Focus (click here). Given that a growing proportion of ARI’s funding is derived from external sources, strong preference will be given to candidates with potential to contribute to building competitive research grant applications.
Applicants must indicate the Research Cluster(s) concerned in their research proposal. In cases where there may be overlapping research interests, you may nominate up to a maximum of two (2) clusters.
Researchers will work under the supervision of the Cluster Leader and take the lead in duties such as organising workshops and conferences, participating in current cluster projects, and carrying out new projects (including applying for grant funding). Administrative duties and committee work will be assigned and form part of the position.
- Candidates must have fulfilled all requirements of securing a PhD from a reputable university at the time they take up their appointment at ARI.
- If you are still a PhD candidate at the point of application, you may also apply provided that you are confirmed for graduation by your commencement date at ARI. An official letter from the Registrar’s Office of your university will be required to confirm the award of your PhD degree.
- Candidates must have an existing track record of publication, and plausible plans for future high-quality publications to be completed at ARI.
Terms of Appointment
- The appointment will be tenable for a period of two years.
- Applications are invited for commencement in: Jun/Jul 2023 or Dec 2023/Jan 2024.
- The Postdoctoral Fellowship remuneration is from S$6,000 per month. This all-in sum is inclusive of stipends for housing and living expenses. Please note that University Housing will not be provided and appointees are expected to make their own private accommodation arrangements.
- Travel assistance will be provided to eligible candidates.
- Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
- All salary and benefits-in-kind are subjected to taxation in accordance with local tax laws.
- There is support for research fieldwork and conference attendance (on application and subject to approval).
- Research staff at ARI are expected to participate actively in the life of the Institute, including attendance at seminars, conferences and ARI social events.
- Other benefits that the University provides and information about working at NUS and living in Singapore are available at https://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/whyjoinus.htm. Terms and conditions, according to university guidelines, are subject to change without prior notice.
Please submit the following documents in one (combined) PDF and attach it under the CV column in the system:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Synopsis of the proposed research project (maximum of 5 single-spaced pages);
- At least one short sample of published work, preferably in English.
- Please indicate the name and contact details of at least 2 referees in your application.
Closing date for applications is 30 September 2022. Please note that no extension will be given.
Additional Important Information
- Only fully completed applications will be considered.
- All materials including research proposal (including if any, initial ideas for a research grant application) and CV must be submitted through our online application system.
- As we receive high volume of applications, we strongly encourage you to apply well before the closing date.
- We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email). Candidates who do not hear from the University within 10 weeks after the closing date may assume the position has been filled.
- Any offer of appointment is conditional on approval by the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Ministry of Manpower granting you an Employment Pass or other applicable work passes.
- For further information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Asia Research Institute
Department : Research
Job requisition ID : 18312