Mechanical / Electrical / Computer Engineer (Biological Sciences)
Our development team at The Regenerative Agritech Centre (RAC) is seeking talented engineers and technicians to join our crew and help us drive our mission of advancing regenerative agriculture and aquaculture through innovative and universal adaptive technology.
As part of the Regenerative Agritech development team, you will work alongside other engineers, scientists, farmers, and industry players to cooperatively design, develop, and implement cutting-edge technologies in sensors, AI, automation, and robotics for precision agriculture and aquaculture.
Operating in a cross-disciplinary environment you will play a pivotal role in supporting the translation of novel ideas into smart and sustainable product solutions that will revolutionise urban farming and accelerate the transformation of the domestic food supply chain, all while blazing the path towards a sustainable, self-sufficient and food secure Singapore.
We are looking for mechanical, electrical, or computer engineers who will be responsible for the technological development of systems and for building sustainable platforms which will improve performance at both pre-harvest and post-harvest stages, such as harvest yield enhancement, nutritional profile assessment, and safety assurance. Your main commitments are, but not limited to:
- Collaborating with other members of the team to develop new concepts and improve existing products for high performing farming systems that support regenerative agriculture and aquaculture practices.
- Leading the various aspects of the development process from planning, designing, fabrication, proto-typing, testing, debugging, to implementation and maintenance.
- Analysing data to assess the performance of existing technologies to identify areas for improvement and incorporating new/existing techniques and processes to produce more efficient and effective solutions.
- Designing and building functional prototypes of new technologies and testing them in a real-world setting while ensuring design related aspects such as manufacturability, serviceability, reliability, and safety.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest developments in Agritech, Aquatech, indoor farming, and other related fields and sharing the knowledge with the team.
- Connecting with a broad set of stakeholders both internally and externally to understand key challenges, market movements, as well as emerging opportunities.
- Writing technical reports and preparing conceptual presentations to deliver training for internal and external audiences.
The Engineer/Technician will work in a dynamic and collaborative environment at our Regenerative Agritech Centre located in the heart of the National University of Singapore. The position will require occasional travel to other farms, agricultural facilities, and product manufacturers. The engineer will have access to a range of cutting-edge technologies and tools including software and hardware development kits, precision agriculture equipment, and robotic devices such as automated vehicles and drone technology.
If you are passionate about using technology to solve real-world problems and want to be part of a dynamic and collaborative that is excited about the potential of Agritech and Aquatech to transform the Future Food Production sector, we strongly encourage you to apply for this exciting position.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- At least 3–5 years of relevant working experience
- Practicing engineers as well as engineers with other degrees are welcome to apply if they have experience in agricultural and/or food automation
- Familiarity with major technical systems of indoor farms (structure, irrigation, lighting, HVAC, nutrients, food safety, monitoring, sensors, etc.) would be an advantage
- Familiarity with hardware development tools and techniques, including microcontrollers, sensors, and actuators
- Exposure to state-of-the-art equipment (e.g., 3-D multispectral plant scanner for plant phenotyping, photosynthesis analytical system, hyperspectral imaging for early detection of disease and nutritional content)
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams, and with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a dynamic work environment with self-motivation and orientation towards practical results
- Hands-on attitude and willingness to acquire skills from neighbouring domains
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities paired with strong verbal and written communication skills
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Department : Biological Sciences
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 19376