Research Assistant/Associate/Fellow (Enamel: Properties and Biofilm Formation), Faculty of Dentistry
The Faculty of Dentistry at the National University of Singapore invites applications for a Research Assistant/Associate/Fellow position to work on a fully funded project to characterise the physicomechanical properties of laboratory and clinically grown biofilms.
The duties will include the following:
- To design and perform experiments on the optical properties of enamel and characterisation of biofilms
- To prepare enamel samples for tests
- To collect, analyse, and interpret experimental results
- To draft reports and research papers
- To maintain housekeeping of the laboratory area and general maintenance tasks, ensuring laboratory safety
- To perform other related duties to support research in the Faculty.
- Strictly required (a to c):
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) or DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery).
- PhD in Materials Science, Dental Biomaterials, Dental Materials, and Biomedical Engineering or other fields relevant to the study area (human enamel)
- Expertise in characterising enamel's optical, physical, and chemical properties (pristine and subjectd to caries challenge).
- Previous experience in preparing enamel samples using semi-automatic cutting machines
- Experience in clinically-relevant techniques to assess changes promoted by caries on enamel
- Experience in molecular techniques, qPCR, colorimetric assays, and standard microbial quantification
- Expertise in quantifying adhesion to enamel substrate and strategies to protect the enamel from external aggression (e.g. corrosive agents, biofilms)
- Demonstrable experience writing scientific/technical reports and publishing original research papers
The selected candidate will be offered a competitive salary and benefits.