[AY 23-24] Vice Provost, Research & Innovation
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes).
VinUni seeks an entrepreneurial academic leader with rigorous academic credentials in computer science, engineering, business management, or health sciences and with strong administrative leadership background, to serve as the Vice Provost, Research & Innovation (VPRI). The VPRI reports to the Provost and works with other leaders and colleagues across the University to pursue the vision and goals of the university. She/he is expected to lead and promote highest quality research, technological innovation, and commercialization efforts of the University across all its colleges and units.
The VPRI provides leadership for the planning, development, implementation, assessment, and improvement of all research programs, policies and supporting infrastructure. The VPRI plays a critical role in setting the research vision of the University, providing leadership to faculty and staff, and ensuring consistent quality standards in all its research activities. The VPRI oversees the research integrity and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, and program development for research. The VPRI in collaboration with the Provost’s office ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies as well as federal accreditation and regulations.
Major responsibilities for this position include:
- The VPRI along with the senior leadership team of the University must lead the effort to develop a strategy for research priorities of the university and establish cross-disciplinary (linking health sciences, engineering and computer science, business administration, and social sciences) initiatives that will put VinUni, and Vietnam on the global map of thought leadership.
- University-wide research centers (E.g: Center for Smart Health, Center for Smart Tourism & Hospitality), research administration (including VinUni’s seed grant program, office for intellectual property) and other major university-wide initiatives related to research and innovation.
- The VPRI is expected to engage with not only Vingroup and its affiliated companies, but also with other organizations in Vietnam and around the world to develop a robust and mutually beneficial industry engagement program for research, technological innovation, and commercialization.
- To further build and firmly establish VinUni’s identity as a major university, it will be important for the university to start hosting academic collaboration events, such as roundtables, conferences, and symposia that bring academic scholars and industry executives to its campus for engaging discussions. The VPRI must lead the process of hosting such university-wide events related to research and innovation.
- As a member of the senior leadership team of the University, the VPRI serves on university’s Academic Advisory Board, chairs the university research committee, and maybe be asked to take on special responsibility from time to time, based on availability, need, and urgency.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
VNExpress >> VinUniversity's First Convocation Day
Forbes Vietnam >> VinUniversity's First Convocation Day
Vietnamnews >> VinUniversity inaugurates its first academic year
Vietnamnet >> VinUniversity achieves QS 5-star rating standards
Cornell Chronicle >> VinUnversity's Founding Provost - Professor Rohit Verma
Cornell Daily Sun >> Cornell-Vingroup's collaboration
Vietnam Economic Times >> Cornell-UPenn-Vingroup's collaboration
Vietnam News >> VinUniversity creates breakthrough in Higher Education quality
Philadelphia Business Journal >> Penn Medicine extends global reach to Vietnam
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Distinguished scholar with academic record to warrant the position of associate professor or full professor in computer science, engineering, business administration, or health sciences at high-quality university (e.g. QS top “50 under 50 university”)
- Demonstrated experience with research administration and technology commercialization.
- Successful experience in progressively responsible research, administrative, and educational leadership positions at a high-quality academic institution.
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English) and strong professional network
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the College/University
- Respect and appreciation for the core values of VinUni: EXCEL (E: Empathy, X: Exceptional Capability, C: Creativity, E: Entrepreneurial Mindset, L: Leadership Spirit).