PhD Candidate Position on Developing and Optimizing Integrated Transport and Energy System Models
About the job
There is a PhD position available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management section of Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research. The position is resident at NTNUs campus in Trondheim. This is an educational position, which will provide promising research recruits the opportunity for professional development through studies towards a PhD-degree. The position is connected to the PhD program at the Faculty of Economics and Management and the faculty will be your employer.
The department endeavors to promote research that meets high International standards. Subsequently, contact with International institutions is important. Therefore, the department encourages the successful PhD Candidate to spend one to two semesters of the contract period at a foreign university. The department offers support in the planning of such scholarly visits.
This PhD project is part of FME NTRANS, the Norwegian Centre for Energy Transition Studies. NTRANS focuses on the role of the energy system in the decarbonization of sectors such as energy, transport, industry, and buildings, as well as our everyday lives. The objective of NTRANS is to develop theory, methods, competence, and knowledge to support key transition stakeholders and contributors in the development and implementation of transition strategies.
At the basis of this PhD project lies a strategic national transport model (STraM), that has recently been developed at NTNU. The PhD candidate will utilize this model, develop it further and explore the connection to energy system models. In particular, the energy system model IFE-TIMES-Norway, developed by the Institute of Energy Technology (IFE), will be used.
The aim of the project is to provide insights on:
- Decarbonization pathways for the transport sector
- Impacts on the energy system (e.g., electricity and hydrogen production/infrastructure, bio-energy)
- Infrastructure and investment needs
- Policy development on different governance levels
- Possibilities for modal shift (incentivizing intermodal transport)
The project requires knowledge of optimization (stochastic, mixed-integer linear programming). Research tasks include the development of efficient solution methods for large scale system model, as well as the construction of long-term (stochastic programming) scenarios based on descriptions of decarbonization pathways.
Duties of the position
- Conduct original scientific research relevant to the research topic above
- Publish and disseminate research results obtained in a suitable and timely manner
- The candidate must engage in FME NTRANS activities as required
- Complete mandatory coursework during the initial part of the employment period
- Meet with and plan research tasks in collaboration with relevant research and industrial partners from FME NTRANS
Required selection criteria
- A relevant master’s degree in operations research. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD-degree.
- The position requires excellent English oral and writing skills.
In addition, the following qualifications will contribute positively to the evaluation of the applicant:
- Documented knowledge in transportation/logistics (through courses, workshops, or working experience).
- Basic understanding of energy systems and sector coupling. Knowledge in energy transition challenges in transport and industry is an advantage.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, e.g. Python, Julia, C++, Java or Matlab.
Recent graduates, or applicants who are in the final stage of their Master’s program, are encouraged to apply. Such an applicant may be offered the position under the condition that the diploma will show satisfactory final term results.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Personal qualifications which we see contributing positively to the research team are independence, work capacity and enthusiasm. We are also looking for candidates with social skills benefiting the work environment for the PhD candidates and in general.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience, and personal suitability, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement..
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment with close links to industry
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
- attractive Norwegian social welfare scheme including family benefits, home loans, Insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Information about Working and living in Norway can be found at the following link: https://www.norge.no/en
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, remunerated at gross NOK 532.200,- per annum before tax. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years without required teaching duties. The position is connected to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Economics and Management and the faculty will be your employer. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Faculty of Economics and Management, Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (https://www.ntnu.no/iot).
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a precondition that the person appointed will have the same workplace as the main supervisor/ supervisory team.
The position is subject to external funding.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
About the application
The application must include:
- Application letter concerning your motivation for completing a PhD
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, together with authorized documentation of certificates and study records.
- Academic work (not master thesis). Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what she/he contributed to the work.
- Names and contact details for 3 references
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
IQuestions about the position can be directed to Associate Professor Steffen Bakker, Professor Asgeir Tomasgard, or Senior Research Scientist Pernille Merethe Sire Seljom.
For questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Hilde Selli Egelie on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached.
Application deadline: 31.05.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
We conduct research and teaching at an international level in the interface between technology/natural sciences and economics, management, and HSE (health, safety and the environment). Our goal is sustainable creation of value within technology-based areas in industry, business and the public sector in Norway. We have academic groups in Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is one of four departments in the Faculty of Economics and Management.
Deadline 31st May 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Trondheim