- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $129,847 plus 17% superannuation
- 16 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 29 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Full time, continuing position as a Data Engineer
- Transforming data to deliver value within the University
- Base salary $129,847 plus 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The role of Data Engineer will ensure that a holistic approach to data is transformed to deliver value to the business and is responsible for developing and building a technology roadmap, managing the design and documentation of the architecture and data structures, collaborating with stakeholders on the development of RPDs and reporting visualisations, coordination and integration with existing data sets, developing understanding of key business processes, testing and the ability to work within an agile project delivery environment.
The role will also handle the overall implementation and administration of all the BI/Analytics environment and Integration tools. Other responsibilities will be implementing, administering, developing and coordinating the BI/Analytics multi hybrid Cloud environment for the university to support its strategic decision making. The Data Engineer will also be required to have sound knowledge in ETL/ELT integration and ESB integration in a cloud hybrid environment.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- consult and provide technical support to staff on the overall strategic direction of development work when required
- provide expert advice on data engineering principles and practice, sound technical support and assistance to staff
- analyse business requirements by providing expert advice on possible solutions that meet business needs and to ensure best practice and approaches are taken
- develop, design, and implement highly efficient, high scalable ingestion processes ensuring delivery of business needs in a timely cost-effective manner
- develop and design the enterprise data models in line with the data modelling standards and guidelines
- work closely with the testing team in design and development of test scripts and defect fixes
- continually engage and research emerging technologies and analytics approaches to enhance the current BI and Analytics environment enabling advanced analytics
- collaborate, facilitate, and conduct code reviews ad identify gaps and possibilities for continuous improvement.
- bachelors or Master's degree in computing science or equivalent, relevant experience
- highly proficient in the use of SQL and related languages for extracting data from relational and non-relational environments to query/validate data and to discover patterns and relationships. Strong understanding of databases and data structures
- experience in implementing a ETL development methodology, with proven understanding of all stages of the software development lifecycle
- proficient in design and implementation of web service (SOAP/REST/RPC API), messaging and file transfer solutions. SOA architecture, Webservices, SOAP, RESTful, WSDL
- excellent interpersonal and client relationship management skills
- excellent organisational, time and workload management skills.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Kristy Fairweather, Recruitment Operations, by email to email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 29 May 2023 11:59 PM