Senior Lecturer in Piano
Role type: Full time; Continuing
Faculty: Fine Arts and Music
Department: Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
Salary: Level C – $140,433 – $161,926 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About Melbourne Conservatorium of Music in Faculty of Fine Arts & Music
The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music is home to the prestigious Victorian College of the Arts and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music. Our dedicated faculty offers a wide range of disciplines, including composition, dance, design, film and television, jazz and improvisation, music performance, theatre, and visual arts.
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, part of the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music at the University of Melbourne, is Australia's oldest and largest tertiary music institution. With exceptional facilities across two campuses, including the Ian Potter Southbank Centre, it offers comprehensive music programs in various disciplines.
About the Role
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music seeks an exceptional Senior Lecturer in Piano to shape and sustain the program's future vitality. The ideal candidate is an accomplished performer, teacher, and recording artist with a distinguished reputation, capable of attracting high-quality students and making significant contributions to teaching, area leadership, and research.
Appointment at the Senior Lecturer level (Level C) is preferred, but outstanding candidates at an earlier career stage may be considered for a Lecturer position (Level B) with a clear trajectory towards Level C criteria.
- Preparation and delivery of individual lessons, seminars, lectures, and tutorials in the keyboard area, at all undergraduate and honours levels
- Coordination of keyboard or performance subjects, as assigned
- Curriculum development and delivery of innovative subject material in performance subjects, and Breadth subjects where appropriate
- Supervision of graduate students at Masters and Doctoral levels
- Cultivation of innovative performance-based research activities, characterised by the development of new knowledge, curation of innovative concerts and repertoires, and effective new dimensions of artistic practice
We are seeking an exceptional and accomplished pianist and teacher to join as a Senior Lecturer in Piano. As a key contributor to one of the world's largest and most distinguished keyboard programs, you will have the opportunity to shape and sustain its future while making significant contributions to teaching, research, and administration. This is an ideal role for a renowned performer and educator with a track record of achievements and a passion for fostering musical talent at the tertiary level.
You'll have demonstrated academic administration experience, compatibility with the Conservatorium's programs and staff, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. You'll also contribute to the strategic development and public profile of the Conservatorium and the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.
You will also have:
- Doctoral qualification in piano performance
- Demonstrable, sustained, and distinguished experience as a salaried university staff member in a piano area, at Level B or higher
- An outstanding record of higher degree teaching and supervision at the Masters and Doctoral levels, as well as evidence of exceptional distinction in undergraduate teaching
- A distinguished track record as a performing and recording artist of solo repertoire and chamber music
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
Please download a copy of the position description for full details of the role and selection criteria. The application deadline for written materials is 17 Jul 2023 (11:55 pm AEDT). Please provide: a cover letter, your CV, a list of up to six referees, responses to the selection criteria in the position description, and links to up to six video-recorded live performances from the past five years that represent a diverse range of solo repertoire and preferably at least one example of collaborative repertoire. Following initial review, selected candidates may be requested to provide additional recorded materials and documentation. Short-listed candidates will be invited to visit the Conservatorium for several days in August or September 2023.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 17 Jul 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time
Position description: 0047425_Senior Lecturer in Piano_PD.pdf