Associate Professor / Professor D / E Primary Care
- Full time continuing employment located on Camperdown Campus at the Sydney School of Veterinary Science in The University of Sydney
- Exciting opportunity to inspire and train the next generation of veterinary leaders, as part of Australia's top-ranked School within a world-class university.
- Play a key role in building the future of veterinary clinical education
- A competitive remuneration package, including leave loading and generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
- + generous loading when registered as a specialist
Now is a great time to join the veterinary teaching hospital at the University of Sydney. We invite you to join us in creating a brighter tomorrow. The hospital is undergoing a transformation so that it can become a premier facility for veterinary medical education. Join the University of Sydney in shaping the future of clinical education for veterinarians.
The University of Sydney's (UoS) Veterinary Teaching Hospital (UVTHS) is an integral part of UoS's top-ranked School of Veterinary Science, offering clinical training to veterinary students alongside the hospital's actively trained staff.
Since its founding in 1910, the mission of the Sydney School of Veterinary Science (SSVS) has been to provide the nation’s best training in the health, welfare, and conservation of animals. The School is internationally accredited with the American Veterinary Medical Association, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (UK) by reciprocal agreement. Veterinary Science at Sydney is ranked 1st in Australia.
To learn more about the Sydney School of Veterinary Science click here.
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint an Associate Professor / Professor (Level D/E) in Primary Care to join a team of outstanding world-class clinical colleagues at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney.
As the Associate Professor/Professor, will have a key focus as clinical academic. This position will provide excellent clinical teaching in Primary Care into the DVM program at the Sydney School of Veterinary Science and be involved in postgraduate training and in higher degrees by research.
We support and encourage excellence in all aspects of the role, from patient care, teaching and learning, and research. The School values highly the tenants of mutual support, respect, empathy, collegiality and integrity.
Join an organization that has over a hundred years of experience in clinical training and innovation. Be part of the transformational process supporting students as they transition to become veterinarians. A privileged role for someone who wants more than a job- come and do work with a purpose.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- maintain a reputation for academic excellence
- contribute to all aspects of teaching in Primary Care including planning, design, delivery, and evaluation of student learning
- leading clinical teaching including clinical supervision, ensuring the provision of appropriate assessment tasks, skills acquisition, and feedback on learning to students
- provide a shared leadership approach to sustainability of the clinical and teaching operation with a particular focus on adequate caseload and resources
- supervise and mentor more junior veterinary staff; including postgraduate students
- lead and contribute towards research programmes in primary care and support other research in the School.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Associate Professor / Professor in Primary Care who has:
- a postgraduate research qualification PhD (or is near completion)
- a veterinary degree that is registrable in NSW
- a Fellowship with the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists or a Diplomate status with the American College or the European College in a relevant discipline that enables registration as a Veterinary Specialist in NSW
- experience in provision of clinical instruction and didactic lectures to postgraduate and undergraduate students
- a developing track record in Primary Care research and attracting research grants
- an understanding of and ability to lead and support an academic endeavour from curriculum design to producing leading research and providing a student enabling environment
- an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the key strategic issues in the higher education sector
- a national or international reputation, supporting research profile including competitive research grants, publications, and evidence of recognition within the broader research community
- a sustained record of excellence in teaching and learning design and practice
- a wide network of established relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders that enhance the standing of the discipline/School experience in people leadership within the higher education sector, including demonstrated success in supervising and/or mentoring others towards success.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate’s skills, experience, and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all the role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Kirsty Keating, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Saturday 10 June 2023 11:59 PM