Assistant / Associate / Full Professor in Marine Biogeochemistry
- Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- 11 May 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering Division (faculty)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
As part of a major initiative to strengthen its research in Marine Science, the Marine Science Program (MarS) in the Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division at KAUST is seeking to expand research, higher education and innovations in the field of Marine Biogeochemistry. Applications for a faculty position (Open Rank: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor) are invited from highly competitive candidates eager to pursue innovative research addressing fundamental questions and developing cutting–edge technologies for application in marine systems.
We are especially interested in applications from high-caliber scientists with expertise in Biogeochemistry and biogeochemical cycles in the ocean water column and sediments with particular reference to the coastal and pelagic environments including shallow and deep extreme environments. Successful candidate is expected to develop top-notch research programs on the biogeochemistry of the Red Sea ecosystems including but not limited to coral reefs, seagrass meadows, mangrove forests salt marshes (sabkah) and coastal lagoons also in relation to blue carbon sequestration; additional ecosystems are the Red Sea water column and the extreme ecosystems of the Red Sea, such as stromatolites, brine pools and hydrocarbon vents. The selected candidate is expected to build a strong teaching program in the Marine Science Program and to establish inter- and multidisciplinary collaborations within the Marine Science Program, the BESE Division and across Divisions, Research Centers and Initiatives at KAUST.
Successful candidates should have a Ph.D. in Marine Science, Biological Science, or related fields, as well as a strong publication record in the top-tier venues of their respective areas. Preference will be given to candidates who can take advantage of KAUST’s unique access to the Red Sea that may serve as a “natural laboratory” for marine biogeochemistry studies in extreme seas, as its present-day conditions (with elevated temperature, salinity and oligotrophy) mirror future conditions in other seas under anticipated climate change scenarios.
The position will remain open until filled.
KAUST is an international, graduate research university dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education, and innovation. KAUST attracts top international faculty, scientists, engineers and students to conduct curiosity-driven and goal-oriented research to address the world’s most pressing scientific and technological challenges. Located in Saudi Arabia, on the eastern shores of the Red Sea, KAUST provides an award-winning campus to live, work, study and play, and offers superb research facilities, with guaranteed baseline research funding, infrastructure support, entrepreneurship opportunities and internationally competitive salaries. Few, if any, other universities offer the same combination of access to diverse tropical marine habitats and world-class laboratory facilities.
For more information about KAUST, please visit http://www.kaust.edu.sa. More information about the BESE Division and the Marine Science Program is available at http://bese.kaust.edu.sa.
To prevent any delays in reviewing your application, you will need to upload the following materials:
- Cover letter introducing your candidacy, and explicitly stating both the position and the rank. The rank must be consistent with the candidate’s experience.
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae including a full publication list.
- Research Statement (5 pages maximum).
- Teaching Statement (2 pages maximum) including teaching philosophy and an outline of 1-2 planned graduate teaching course(s).
- Names and contact information for at least 4 references. Referees should have positions in academic or industrial research laboratories. In the case of Associate and Full Professor applications, the referees should be of a rank higher or equivalent to that of the candidate.
- Copies of most relevant publications (Maximum of five).