Research Associate / Research Fellow, Indigenous Academic (Environmental Science)
- Be employed as an Indigenous academic to complete a PhD at UWA as part of a dynamic research group in the National Environmental Science Program’s Resilient Landscapes Hub
- Multiple Academic Level A/B positions available
- Full-time appointment on a fixed term for 5 years
- Base salary starting $74,236 – $124,301 p.a. plus 17% superannuation, depending on qualification and experience
This position is being advertised under Section 50 (D) of the WA Equal Opportunity Act. Aboriginality is considered a genuine requirement for this position.
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
Through the NESP Resilient Landscapes Hub, UWA and CSIRO aim to build a network of Indigenous academics undertaking impactful research to inform management of Australia’s terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems and to promote resilient and sustainable landscapes. This position will be a critical member of collaborative research teams at UWA funded by the Resilient Landscapes Hub, which is one of four research Hubs under the Australian Government’s National Environmental Research Program. The NESP resilient Landscapes Hub will provide operational support for the PhD project undertaken by the appointee.
The Hub conducts research to inform management of Australia’s terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems to promote resilient and sustainable landscapes. The Hub brings together researchers from the CSIRO, 11 universities, government agencies and non-government organisations and a range of research users. The Hub sits within the School for Agriculture and Environment at The University of Western Australia (UWA).
About the opportunity
This position will be a pathway to an Academic career within UWA and/or CSIRO which will constitute a PhD candidature focussed on research within the NESP Resilient Landscapes Hub as well as some academic Research Associate or Research Fellow level duties.
Under broad direction from a supervisory panel of UWA and CSIRO researchers working in the Hub, you will undertake research as part of the NESP Resilient Landscapes Hub. The scope of the research project will be developed with the appointee during the first six months but must fall within the remit of the Hub https://nesplandscapes.edu.au, noting that the Hub has project activity across Australia.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Eligibility to be enrolled in a PhD or Master of Philosophy at UWA
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to diverse audiences (e.g. theses, technical reports or peer-reviewed publications, oral or poster presentations)
- Research expertise and/or experience in one or more of the following: Indigenous knowledge and managing the Indigenous estate; Threatened species; Threatening processes; Environmental restoration; Environmental monitoring; Social or economic aspects of environmental management.
- Analytical skills appropriate for the discipline area
- Highly developed organisational and time management skills, and demonstrated ability to set priorities to meet tasks milestones
- Ability to relate well to staff and students, particularly Indigenous students, at all levels and evidence of a commitment to equity and diversity principles
Note: A current “C” class driver’s licence is a requirement of this position
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Associate or Fellow - Indigenous Academic (Environmental Science) 514179.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Monday 05 June 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Michael Douglas at Michael.Douglas@uwa.edu.au
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
The position is only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants.
The successful applicant will identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander. This position is being advertised under Section 50 (D) of the WA Equal Opportunity Act. Aboriginality is considered a genuine requirement for this position. Confirmation of Aboriginality will be required prior to an offer of employment.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Perth
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Fellowships jobs in Perth
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Perth
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Associate jobs in Perth