Post-Doctoral Associate in the Division of Engineering, Civil and Urban Engineering
We are seeking a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Associate to work under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Johnson, Assistant Professor of Civil and Urban Engineering at New York University, Abu Dhabi (NYUAD). The Post-Doctoral Associate will be required to work on the development of new and modified polymer membranes with reduced fouling for water and wastewater treatment applications, will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the NYUAD-Water Research Center (WRC) and will get an opportunity to work alongside graduate students, post-docs and other research scientists from various backgrounds and diverse cultural ethnicity. This position will be under the umbrella of the newly founded Water Research Center and within the Division of Engineering at New York University Abu Dhabi.
- Work alongside peers with unique and creative backgrounds in physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science engineering and mechanical engineering.
- Conduct research on the development of novel water and wastewater treatment membranes for various applications including, but not limited to ultrafiltration, MBR, reverse osmosis, forward osmosis and nanofiltration to explore issues and address challenges related to water and wastewater treatment.
- Design and conduct multi-step membrane synthesis from the available state-of-the-art equipment.
- Carry out membrane characterization and membrane process optimization experiments.
- Take part in writing research papers, research proposals, drafting patents and attending conferences.
- A PhD in Polymer Chemistry, Membrane Technology, Materials Science or other relevant field along with a strong record of publication in reputable academic journals.
- Working knowledge of membrane fabrication and chemical modification.
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative, supportive team culture encouraging trust and cooperation among all team members.
- Must be detail-oriented and well organized, with excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Expertise in nanomaterial fabrication
- Prior expertise in polymer and or organic chemistry.
- Knowledge of advanced water and wastewater treatment processes
- Knowledge of membrane and surface fouling and biofouling
This position will begin in September 2023 initially, with a two-year contract, renewable depending on performance.
The terms of employment are very competitive and include a flexible working environment, annual home-leave travel allowance, generous housing and relocation benefits, medical insurance with access to world-class facilities, as well as educational subsidies for children.
Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a 1-2-page cover letter, latest curriculum vitae, copies of publications, and at least two letters of recommendation to be sent confidentially, all in PDF format via Interfolio.
If you have any questions about the position or the university, please contact Professor Daniel Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the NYUAD Water Research Center:
The Water Research Center (NYUAD-WRC) at New York University Abu Dhabi aims to promote innovative research in water desalination, wastewater treatment, environmental policy, and social issues that will lead to water security and sustainability. The center serves as an interdisciplinary innovation hub for water research where scientific knowledge is transformed into practical solutions.
Research at the WRC falls into the following focus areas and/or at the intersection of two or more areas:
- Advanced desalination technologies
- Wastewater treatment and reuse
- Sustainable environmental processes
- Water governance and policy
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.