Research Associate (Analytical Lab Core Facility)
We are looking for a skilled and motivated Research Associate in supporting scientific research and using different analytical chemistry tools. The selected candidate will assume responsibilities including (but not limited to); equipment training, maintenance and optimization, experimental assistance, lab management and ensuring compliance to safety.
This person is expected to work in close proximity to the central facility manager and equipment superusers.
The job scope will cover:
- Perform literature survey on I-FIM’s ongoing research projects, particularly on the topics of electrochemical studies of polymer membranes, composites, characterizing their properties, and testing their performance.
- Manage booking, usage, write SOP, and train researchers on operation and measurement using the following equipment-
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- UV-VIS-NIR Spectrophotometer
- Fourier-transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Fluorescence Spectrophotometer
- Scanning Electrochemical setup comprising - Scanning Vibrating System (SVET), LEIS (Localised Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscope) and a Scanning Kelvin Probe (SKP)
- ZETA POTENTIAL meters
- Cyclic voltammetry setup
- Drop shape analysers
- Beyond the basic functions, the candidate should obtain a deep technical understanding on the working principle of a few machines.
- Offer technological solutions and advise researchers on planning and executing their experiments with maximum efficiency in different machines.
- Work with researchers on analysing data using statistical and modelling techniques, to eliminate measurement bottlenecks and improving efficiency.
- Interfacing between researchers and equipment manufacturers to troubleshoot instrument failure and underperformance.
- Support central facility manager to carry out timely calibration, certification and maintenance.
- Work with the central facility manager on building designer equipment, sourcing engineering solutions, and carrying out acceptance tests.
- Ensure safe working conditions and maintain lab discipline. Help researchers to write Risk Assessments (RA) for new experiments.
- At least a Masters or PhD in chemistry, material science or equivalent from a reputable university
- Research experience in the fields of electrochemistry, catalysis and membrane science are relevant
- At least 3 years’ working experience in a research environment, either in academia or industry
- Demonstratable technical command in using few of the machines listed in the job scope. The interview will assess the candidate on technical competency
- Good communication, organisation and scientific writing skills
- A good team player and keen to support colleagues and researchers in their activities
- Proactive with a hands-on approach.
The candidate should be willing to actively participate in fault finding and repair process for various equipment and services
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Institute for Functional Intelligent Materials
Department : Research Groups
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 20219