Faculty Positions in Applied Mathematics
5 days left
- Suzhou, China
- 17 Apr 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
SCHOOL: School of Mathematics and Physics
DEPARTMENT: Department of Applied Mathematics
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Mathematics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/ Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Senior Associate Professor / Professor
LOCATION: Suzhou Campus
SALARY: Salary and benefits packages are competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
JOB ID: 2945
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time, 3-year contract (renewable) where the 3rd contract is open-ended.
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1st September 2023
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30th June 2023. Initial review of applications will begin on 30st March 2023 and continue until positions are filled.
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for 103 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and more than 920 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 64th most liveable city in the 2021 Global Liveability Index. Situated within the Yangtze River Delta region and near to Shanghai, it is well-connected to other major cities in China via high-speed rail, and globally via nearby airports. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Applied Mathematics invites applications for positions at any level. Our international department has academic staff actively engaged in research in the analysis of differential equations, numerical analysis, optimisation, operational research as well as their applications. We seek individuals with a PhD in mathematics who will make a strong contribution to the research output of the department.
Successful candidates will show commitment to a high standard of teaching at all levels. The department is involved in the delivery of three four-year undergraduate mathematics programmes as well as the provision of service teaching for other programmes within the university. At the postgraduate level, we offer a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Conduct high-quality research, leading to publications in top journals.
- Actively attract external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
- Typical workload balance research:teaching:service is 40:40:20
We are looking for future colleagues able to collaborate with others, with an active attitude for research, passionate about mathematics and able to conduct their academic duties in English.
- A PhD in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.
- Two years of full time postdoctoral experience with demonstrable teaching experience.
- International experience in higher education.
- Fluency in English.
In addition, for senior positions,
- A minimum of eight years of full time academic experience and excellence in academic achievements.
- Broad international experience in higher education.
- Demonstrable experience in curriculum development.
- Extensive experience in student supervision.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
In addition, for senior positions,
- Experience in conducting research supported by international level research funds.
- Experience in supervision of PhD students.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please use the following link to submit your application: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=2945&company=xjtlu
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Cover letter
- Current CV, including date of birth and country of citizenship
- Contact information for three references
All applications should be received by the closing date.
For questions or inquiries about the position, please contact Head of Department of Applied Mathematics, Dr. Alejandro Vidal-Lopez at Alejandro.Vidal@xjtlu.edu.cn
For general enquiries, please email HR at Mingwei.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry