Apprentice Technician in Applied Sciences
ABOUT THE ROLE
Specific duties will vary from time to time in conjunction with the requirements of the apprenticeship programme: the following list of duties is intended to indicate the general nature of the post and is not exhaustive.
- Assist in providing technical support to academic staff and students within the department of Applied Sciences.
- Assist in the preparation of equipment and facilities.
- Contribute, as directed, to the support of practical laboratory sessions.
- Develop and maintain an awareness of relevant Health & Safety regulations under direction of technical supervisors.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of various laboratory techniques
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in the preparation of materials and equipment for use by staff and students.
- Working as directed by senior technician to support practical teaching sessions, including assisting in the operation and demonstration of equipment.
- Assisting in carrying out routine maintenance of equipment in line with manufacturer’s specifications, & installation of equipment under the direction of supervisory technical staff
- Assisting in maintaining the work area and equipment, to provide a clean & safe working environment within specialist laboratory areas.
- Assisting in maintaining stock level of consumables.
- Maintaining an up to date knowledge of health and safety procedures and issues relating to allocated areas.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required by the Manager within the scope of the grade. The particular responsibilities of all members of staff are likely to vary over time, according to the needs of the service.
- This is a full time post of 37 hours per week
- Normal working hours are Monday to Thursday 09:00 -17:00 and Friday 09:00 – 16:30. Occasional evening and weekend working may be required to meet the needs of the service
- The post holder will be able to work flexibly with prior approval from their line manager
Please note this is a 2 year fixed term contract, starting 19/08/2023 until 19/08/2025.
To be successful in the role you must have the following person specifications:
- Demonstrates good communication skills, whether face-to-face, on the telephone or in writing.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships within own team and across the organisation.
- Have a professional, customer-focused approach.
- Have attention to detail, completing tasks to a high standard.
- Takes responsibility for initiating and completing tasks, manages, and prioritises time to successfully meet deadlines.
- Have a positive, flexible approach to team working.
- Reliable, enthusiastic, and willing to learn.
- Ability to complete documentation proficiently.
- Demonstrate an understanding of their responsibility for health and safety in the workplace.
- IT skills including use of MS Office packages (e.g., Word and Excel
Further information is available in the person specification.
For further information about this opportunity please contact email@example.com
To apply for this vacancy please click 'Apply Now'. Your application must include a covering letter and your CV. If you are successfully shortlisted for the role, we will work with the training provider, TDR, who will carry out an initial assessment of your suitability for this role. If you would like support with your application, TDR can give you tips on CV layout and content.
At Northumbria, we embrace tomorrow. We pursue new thinking, forge new partnerships, create, and exchange new knowledge, and find new solutions. Our inspirational academics, partners and students work together to tackle tomorrow’s challenges head on. We are ready for the future whatever it may hold.
Ranked in the UK top 50 (Guardian University League Table 2022 and Complete University Guide 2023), Northumbria University is a research-intensive modern university with a global reputation for academic excellence. Northumbria recorded the biggest rise of any UK university for research power in the Research Excellence Framework for the second time in 2021 and is now rated within the top 25 in the UK.
Northumbria is one of the largest universities in the UK with over 37,000 students from 137 countries. Putting students at the heart of an outstanding experience, and with world-leading research and award-winning partnerships, Northumbria is a new kind of excellent university. Discover more about us.
Northumbria University is a great place to work. We empower our exceptional people to achieve shared ambitions and promote a positive work life balance. To say thank you, we offer a wide range of benefits including excellent pension schemes, flexible working, a generous holiday entitlement, continued commitment to your learning and development and more.
We are an on-campus organisation where colleagues work regular patterns of hours and on campus, with some flexibility on the timing of their hours and the location of their work in discussion with their manager.
Northumbria University is committed to creating an inclusive culture where we take pride in, and value, the diversity of our staff. We encourage and welcome applications from all members of the community. The University holds a bronze Athena Swan award in recognition of our commitment to advancing gender equality, we are a Disability Confident Employer, a member of the Race Equality Charter and are participating in the Stonewall Diversity Champion Programme. The University has implemented a range of flexible working arrangements, and we are happy to explore candidate requirements as part of the recruitment process.