Faculty IT Support Specialist
- UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO
- San Diego
- $6,166.66 - $6,961 per month; Excellent BenefitsThe University of San Diego offers a very competitiv
- 01 Apr 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Heads of department / Chairs of department, Other Senior Management, Academic Posts, Other Academic, Professional Services, Administrative
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Faculty IT Support Specialist
Posting #: 4534
Information Technology Services is a service organization that is integral to the success of the University of San Diego. We succeed only when we meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. We have a passion for excellence and endeavor to set and deliver the highest standards of service, value, integrity, and responsiveness. We celebrate the diversity and power of people, ideas, and cultures. We respect and enrich the academic community in which we operate. We feel a sense of responsibility to lead by examples of creativity, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the University faculty, students, and staff.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Responsible for support of faculty IT-related needs - research, implement, train and administer established or new technology in support of teaching and learning and research in advancing pedagogically sound best practices. The Faculty IT-Support Specialist will collaborate with faculty on specialized software-related adoption or implementation of emerging technology tools in support of teaching, learning and research. The specialist will use evidence-based practices to craft, deliver, and support technological innovation and emerging technology. Duties include advanced support of productivity and specialized applications, administration of enterprise wide third party products and services, workflow troubleshooting or pilot of new products and services. The specialist will research, train and support faculty in deployment and use of relevant and specialized applications. Promotes integration of cloud services, research and explores emerging technology adoption, encourages effective pedagogy in utilizing the relevant products in support of the curriculum.
These interactions and training may be done in group sessions, scheduled training and outreaches, or one-on-one sessions in support of effective practices.
The specialist works to develop content material and demonstrates proficiencies with a wide array of academic technologies. The specialist also exhibits outstanding critical thinking skills, manages and documents multiple ongoing projects efficiently, while providing excellent customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional Application Support:
- Coordinate the effective integration of instructional resources and best practices into online, mobile, and traditional teaching.
- Conduct instructional training and workshops, and onsite and phone support for faculty.
- Design and develop instructional training materials to support faculty, including: interactive face-to-face workshops, online interactive tutorials, drop-in sessions, and individual instruction on procedures, processes, and methods of operating, maintaining, revising and enhancing instructional requirements.
- Create, update and maintain e-learning, mobile learning and related training materials and resources, and other workshops for which this individual is primarily responsible.
- Provide end user support for learning and collaborative technologies, video creation, accessible technology support, and classroom and conferencing technology
- Consult with faculty and provide resources necessary to assist them with the delivery of technology in the classroom. Assess instructional needs and provide recommendations for best-suited technologies to various programs.
- Conduct research and evaluate the use of emerging and existing technologies in teaching and learning. Stays abreast of trends and information regarding educational technology and pedagogy.
- Provides recommendations, designs, executes and oversees effective pilot initiatives of new technologies in order to assess viability of further adoption.
- Creates strategies for and leads implementation of new technology adoptions for the improvement and advancement of education on campus and online.
- Administration and support of campus wide products and services (Panopto, Qualtrics, LinkedIn learning, KnowBe4, etc.).
- Panopto— lecture recording, screen-casting, video streaming, and video content management platform critical to USD's E-learning environments
- Qualtrics - Online and Enterprise wide survey product
- KnowBe4 - A security awareness and simulation service
- Promote pedagogical and instructional design best-practices, and support faculty in developing online (asynchronous and synchronous), hybrid, and web-enhanced courses.
- Consulting with faculty in redesign of course contents that requires digital medium to flip their course content.
- Creating training contents and demo of products and services with use of technology in the classroom (hybrid and hyflex setups).
- Interact with faculty to understand their current and future software needs.
- Troubleshooting and learning skills- analytical approach to solve and troubleshoot.
- Organize and develop application testing procedures to provide for stability and best performance.
- Communicate application requirements to technical and non-technical faculty, students, and staff.
- Act as project leader for assigned IT projects with minimal supervision. Provide project consultation and recommendations to IT management as well as end-user departments.
- Participate in all phases of technology or application development, including requirements gathering, estimating time and costs for phases or tasks, building, testing and implementation.
- Make presentations to technical and non-technical, management and non-management personnel, using a variety of tools.
- Stays abreast of new technology trends and support thereof.
- Improve services by offering creative approaches, through certification or in-house training.
- Use proper judgment to triage and log problems and request for support.
- Develop preventive maintenance procedures to avoid system failures.
General Technical Responsibilities:
- Configures, installs, maintains, and provides customer support for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, iOS, and Android computer equipment and software in various departments, including advanced industry-specific hardware and software
- Disaster Recovery and High Availability Strategies for critical infrastructure, software and services.
- Installs Complex Software for Desktop Management. This includes Asset Management, Remote Control, Software Delivery, Spam filtering software, Desktop Maintenance, Help Desk management systems. Creates and installs packages and deploying system updates.
- Configuration and troubleshooting of network printers and other peripherals.
- Keeps the inventory and tracking of tickets concise and up to date with actions taken/fixes attempted.
- Provides resolution of calls to meet SLO (Service Level Objectives).
- Assists clients in account and user management, system security, and system backups.
- Resolve and update existing request, deployment of new equipment and computer replacement process.
- Ensures adherence to service delivery process management framework as it relates to functional support and continuous process improvement similar to ITIL.
- Set an example by raising standards and practices.
Technology Consultative and User Support Services:
- Consult on the uses of various kinds of software, web applications, office suite packages, and graphic applications.
- Tier 2 and Tier 3 software and learning technology troubleshooting and support.
- Plan and project-manage large departmental events that promote and support the use of technology in teaching and learning.
- Consult and liaison in use of cloud services such as Amazon Web Services—(AWS academy and AWS education) with capstone project and courses
- Demonstrated flexibility and agility in order to adapt to changing work demands and balance many projects in a high-pressure environment. Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Coordination of projects and dissemination of information.
- Communicate and actively engage with major campus rollouts and projects; make recommendations; help with planning and execution of upgrades and migrations.
- Proactive in offering solutions to improve technical services of ITS within the community.
- Tests, evaluates and makes recommendations for hardware and software acquisitions.
- Participates in Desktop Support Services and ITS meetings to provide higher level ITS support.
- Assists in planning and execution of major campus wide migrations, projects and initiatives.
- Investigating and piloting new initiatives such as AR/VR and ChatGPT applications
- Creating and maintaining webpages reflecting services on new projects or new portfolio of technology
- Follows policies and procedures related to how problems are identified, received, documented, distributed, and corrected.
- Recommends effective strategies to improve performance and meet customer and supervisor(s) expectations.
- Prioritize all tasks, projects, job duties and responsibilities and work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced work environment.
- Maintain accurate documentations and knowledge base content for system installations, configurations, upgrades and disaster recovery activities.
- Performs moderately advanced technological systems support, maintenance, and testing for proper upkeep of systems; may troubleshoot and resolve moderately complex system hardware, software, and network failures and conflicts.
- Serves as a primary project member on technology projects with moderate scope and impact; may provide guidance and integration of other staff work.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to technology, equipment, applicable laws, regulations, standards and/or systems.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution in Computer Science, Information Systems or Educational Technology Instructional design or related field
- Five years of professional employment that demonstrates progressive responsibility in information systems, with two years of experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with functionality and utility software and with teaching and learning applications
- Strong knowledge and experience with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, iOS, and Android operating systems, complex software products, and virtual servers
- Exceptional communication skills with a diverse set of people
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information in non-technical settings
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and colleagues in a team environment
- Strong enthusiasm to explore, learn, and maintain currency with the ever-changing application and support of software
- Exceptional team player, with strong customer-centered philosophy
- Experience facilitating integration of technology in an educational environment
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of instructional technologies including lecture capture, desktop capture/publishing, classroom response systems, web conferencing, cloud services, augmented or virtual reality teaching tools
- Creating, designing and developing instructional contents aligned with pedagogy
- Strong with emerging technology in learning and adapting curriculum design to mobile learning environment
- Proficiency with learning platforms (LMS), and software used to develop and deliver instructional content.
- Knowledge of and experience with web 2.0 applications such as photo galleries, social networking, presentation tools, and mobile applications.
- Knowledge of web authoring applications including web site and image/graphic development and editing, screen capture, HTML, XML
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- PHP coding (basic knowledge)
- Microsoft Office product or Adobe certification
- Demonstrated expertise in developing instructional resources
- Expert level proficiency with Microsoft Office products, standard web technologies, languages and authoring tools, and graphic/multimedia development tools
- Experienced, innovative, and enthusiastic customer support mindset
- Research, introduce and implement emerging educational technologies while assisting faculty with development, assessment and evaluation.
- Attending, presenting, or conducting technology support related classes and events
- Support Skills:
- Ability to assess user needs and use consultative skills to provide support
- Advise faculty in determining appropriate instructional goals and objectives
- Leading the planning, analysis, design, development, deployment and evaluation processes of learning material
- Demonstrated ability to provide a high level of customer service in a consistent manner
- Excellent public communication skills and the ability to interact well with faculty, staff, students and others in the working environment
- Supervisory and management skill--ability to organize, categorize and prioritize workload effectively and efficiently, under minimal supervision.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Must be a self-starter, original, innovative, result oriented
- Effective project/time management skills requiring balancing multiple projects and functioning in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work and develop product in a team-centered approach for faculty development and support
- Work under pressure and deadline with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment in working with multicultural populations
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellent customer service and delivery
- Ability to serve multiple constituents
- Utilize good judgment, excellent communication, and tact and discretion.
- Willing and able to learn new technology and develop new initiatives in ever changing work environment
- Skills evidenced by efficiency, accuracy and flexibility and work effectively under pressure.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Successfully interact and communicate with faculty, students, and staff with excellent customer satisfaction and teamwork ratings
- Provide high quality work deliverable within schedule and within budget
- An expert-level understanding of software on Macintosh, Windows, and Linux computers.
- Ability to research and innovate
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment, with commitment to support service and teamwork.
- Good problem-solving skills, hands-on, quick learner, proactive, high data affinity, detailed oriented, critical thinking, enjoy mentorship and educating others, innovative mind, high sense of ethics, responsibilities, and discipline.
- Maintains a current and thorough knowledge of advances and developments in computing technology, software, hardware, and peripherals, data communications equipment, printers, scanners, etc. workstation security and maintenance issues, and operating systems.
- Requires strong and complex desktop troubleshooting experience responsible for hands on client-side remediation efforts.
- Knowledge of application and database integration techniques
- Knowledge of relational database design
$6,166.66 - $6,961 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: April 30, 2023
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: March 31, 2023
Applications close: April 30, 2023
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496307/faculty-it-support-specialist
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency