Research Fellow, Social Scientist
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 31 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Sociology
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Department of Family Medicine (DFM) at NUHS was established in 2017 with the aim of supporting the Division of Family Medicine within the Yon Loo Lin School of Medicine of the National University of Singapore (NUS). DFM is composed of a multidisciplinary team of clinicians, researcher, medical educators, and administrators. DFM provides an exciting and dynamic place in which people of diverse backgrounds collaborate towards the common goals of achieving achieve excellence in Family Medicine education, research and practice.
As part of our efforts to significantly increase our research capacity, we are looking to appoint a highly motivated and skilled Research Fellow to lead the social science components of our research programmes. The vacancy provides an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to our research programmes for improving the lives of people receiving primary care. Our research spans across a wide range of areas: chronic diseases, including mental health, cancer care and multimorbidity; healthy longevity; family orientation; and quality of care, including continuity and coordination. It will offer opportunities of continued interaction with fellow social scientists within the NUS environment.
The Research Fellow will have the following duties:
- Leading research projects within the DFM scope of interest and potentially new areas and set up relevant research collaborations within and outside of the Department and NUHS
- Provision of support to other academic staff in the preparation of new research studies, grant proposals, ethics applications, manuscripts, and oral presentations
- Assistance in the management of research activities including team coordination, mentoring of junior researchers, conducting research workshops and seminars
- Interaction with interdisciplinary teams to build research capacity amongst our primary care partners
- Membership of the research committee within the Department of Family Medicine
The position is full-time for 1 year in the first instance, depending on project commitments and candidate’s career objectives.
- PhD or doctoral qualifications in Sociology or a closely related field.
- Highly proficient in qualitative research methods using either primary or secondary data
- Strong skills in designing, conducting and reporting research studies
- Experience in overseeing all steps of a research project conducted in a clinical or community setting, from study design and ethics approval to data collection, data analysis, and interpretation and dissemination of findings
- Proficient in the use of appropriate NVivo and other relevant softwares
- Excellent organisation, coordination, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
The application should include a CV and a cover letter that describes the applicant’s specific interest in joining the Dept of Family Medicine. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Salary will be matched according to the candidate's qualifications and experience.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 17672