Research Associate, Molecular and Cellular Biosciences
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 31 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for a Research Associate position, in the Healthy Longevity Translational Research Program, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, with an affiliation with the National University Health System (NUHS) Centre for Healthy Longevity.
The Centre for Healthy Longevity (CHL), one of 6 Centres of Excellence of the National University Health System (NUHS), aims to be a leading institute for geroscience research and translation globally, renowned for translating research into practice to improve healthspan.
The CHL is seeking a Research Associate to manage a comprehensive wet lab for extracting and processing human biological material, not limited to:
- Peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCS)
- Serum, plasma
- Tissue biopsies
The position requires at least 2 years of working experience in a human diagnostics or tissue processing and repository lab. The applicant will be well-versed in molecular and cellular biological techniques and be able to take up a leadership position after one year, to lead junior colleagues. The applicant will work closely with the management and research team of the CHL. Appointments will be on a 2-year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of extension.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform routine processing of human biospecimens and maintain repository for sample storage.
- Provide scientific and technical expertise for the daily operations, process improvement and development of the routine human biospecimen and tissue processing work-flow.
- Assess and validate new technologies and/or methods suitable for cell/tissue extraction and processing to increase efficiency.
- Perform laboratory quality assurance duties to implement, monitor and enforce NUS Office of Safety, Health and Environment (OSHE) policies in the wet lab working environment.
- Mentor and identifying training needs for junior staff.
- Comply with laboratory inventory management procedures.
- Comply with good laboratory practice as set out by the Laboratory Accreditation Programme of the College of American Pathologists and Singapore regulatory agencies such as the Medical Audit & Accreditation Unit.
- MS in Molecular/ Cell Biology or relevant discipline with at least 2 years of relevant work experience in a diagnostic laboratory/ tissue repository lab;
- BS Degree in Biomedical Science, Biological Science, Medical Technology or equivalent with at least 4 years of relevant work experience in a diagnostic laboratory/ tissue repository lab.
- Experience in supervisory or administrative positions would be advantageous.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in routine processing of PBMCs, serum/plasma, and other human biospecimens.
- Able to work independently and as a team member.
- Good interpersonal skills with strong leadership attributes.
- Must be meticulous and have good organization skills.
Please include current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV (including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations and full contacts of 3 referees). Finally, a detailed cover letter indicating why the applicant wishes to join the Centre for Healthy Longevity is required.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department: Dean's Office (Medicine)
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 7612