Research Assistant, Cardiovascular
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $73,751 (pro-rata) + 17% superannuation
- 30 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
- 0.6 FTE Part time, fixed term until December 2024. Located at the Charles Perkin Centre at the Camperdown Campus
- Opportunity to gain and develop experience supporting the School of Medical Sciences
- Base Salary HEO4, $73,751 (pro-rata) + 17% superannuation
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Research Assistant (Cardiovascular) to support the Chief Investigator and team at the School of Medical Sciences. The successful candidate will provide technical and operational support which includes preparing relevant materials in collaboration with team members, performing fundamental aspects of research work, and facilitating the efficient operation of the research laboratory by providing essential technical and operational support.
The School of Medical Sciences has seven multidisciplinary research themes that reflect the strength, diversity and depth of our research. Our research themes include Biomedical Informatics and Digital Health, Chronic Diseases, Molecular Biomedicine, Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Musculoskeletal Science, Neuroscience, and Education and Innovation.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- assist with human tissue handling and processing as part of the Biobanking program
- participate in standard lab work, including DNA /RNA/protein extractions
- undertake microscopy (immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence)
- provide technical and operational research support to the greater research team
- provide research administrative support researchers and laboratory staff.
To find out more information about the research at the School of Medical Sciences click here.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Assistant (Cardiovascular) who has:
- completed or is working towards the completion of an Honours or Masters Degree
- laboratory experience and demonstrated understanding of laboratory protocols as above
- proven experience in handling and processing human tissue samples
- experience in a research-intensive environment or interest in teaching and working in academia
- experience in carrying out literary searches, and preparing literary reviews for further analysis
- extensive experience in developing and working on research projects, including expertise in using research protocols, experimental design, ethics submissions and grant applications.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Ajaypal Singh, Recruitment Operations, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Thursday 13 April 2023 11:59 PM