Post-doctoral Research Fellow Level 1, School of Mechanical & Materials Engineering
Applications are invited for a temporary post of a UCD Post-doctoral Research Fellow Level 1 within UCD School of Mechanical & Materials Engineering.
UCD School of Mechanical & Materials Engineering are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Postdoctoral Researcher to work on developing a digital twin of Satellites to reduce hardware design and mission planning time. The successful candidate will work on modelling satellite subsystems and their dependencies. The project will use model-based systems engineering concepts and use hardware-in-the-loop testing to ensure accuracy and usefulness of the models. This position will involve working in a fast-paced environment and collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve project goals.
This is a research focused role, where you will conduct a specified programme of research supported by research training and development under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator.
The primary purpose of the role is to further develop your research skills and competences, including the processes of publication in peer-reviewed academic publications, the development of funding proposals, the mentorship of graduate students along with the opportunity to develop your skills in research led teaching.
In addition to the Principal Duties and Responsibilities listed below, the successful candidate will also carry out the following duties specific to this project:
- Develop a Digital Twin of Satellite hardware, utilising model-based systems engineering concepts.
- Conduct hardware-in-the-loop testing and data analysis to verify and validate the digital twin.
- Create and maintain technical documentation, including system requirements, design specifications, and test plans.
- Contribute to the writing of research papers and proposals, and present research findings at conferences and meetings
- Participate in project planning and execution, including milestone planning and progress reporting.
- Analyse system performance data and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Collaborate with a team of researchers and engineers to develop and implement solutions for various CubeSat missions
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Fixed Salary: 42,033 Per Annum
Appointment on the above range will be dependent upon qualifications and experience.
Closing date: 17:00hrs (local Irish time) on 20th April 2023.
Applications must be submitted by the closing date and time specified. Any applications which are still in progress at the closing time of 17:00hrs (Local Irish Time) on the specified closing date will be cancelled automatically by the system.
UCD are unable to accept late applications.
UCD do not require assistance from Recruitment Agencies. Any CV's submitted by Recruitment Agencies will be returned.
The PD1 position is intended for early stage researchers, either just after completion of a PhD or for someone entering a new area for the first time. If you have already completed your PD1 stage in UCD or will soon complete a PD1, or you are an external applicant whose total Postdoctoral experience, inclusive of the duration of the advertised post, would exceed 4 years, you should not apply and should refer to PD2 posts instead.
Prior to application, further information (including application procedure) should be obtained from the Work at UCD website: https://www.ucd.ie/workatucd/jobs/