Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Architectural Practice
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Darlington, Australia
- $113,184 - $159,867 (Level C) p.a. plus 17% superannuation
- 30 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Architecture, Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Education focused, full-time, continuing position (fractional appointment also possible)
- Exciting opportunity to contribute to teaching in architectural design, construction, and professional practice
- Academic Level B/C Base Salary from $113,184 - $134,403 (Level B); $138,645 - $159,867 (Level C) p.a. plus 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Architecture, Design and Planning has been offering architectural education for more than a century and is one of the top 25 built environment Schools globally. In 2020 our strategic plan reaffirmed our commitment to social justice, student centred programs, multi-disciplinarity, and staff professional development. We have also solidified our engagement with industry and the professions through the appointment of a number of practice educators and professors of practice.
The School of Architecture, Design and Planning at the University of Sydney is strengthening its capacity to provide architectural education that supports collective work toward a post-carbon future. We are seeking candidates with teaching and practice expertise in the design, construction, and operation of buildings and built environments in the context of changing climate and emerging technologies.
Successful candidates will contribute to the school's ongoing development of a design culture for a changing climate. We are seeking candidates who deploy innovative teaching practices and deliver engaging learning experiences to prepare students for entry into professional environments. We are seeking candidates with the ability to teach construction and building design within a project-based architectural design studio setting, particularly at undergraduate level. We are also interested in candidates with the ability to teach professional practice. Candidates must have expertise in architectural design, and a demonstrated capacity for leadership across educational, professional and institutional settings. Successful candidates will collaborate with colleagues in the school's state-of-the-art architectural science, computation, and fabrication labs, and will have opportunities to enhance partnerships with design, urbanism, engineering, computer science, environmental studies and allied fields.
Click here for more information on our School.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to and/or lead curriculum development and learning innovations and curriculum development in architectural design and construction, and professional practice
- contribute to the engagement aspirations of the School.
- Postgraduate qualifications in architecture or equivalent fields
- a demonstrated capacity to teach architectural design, construction and professional practice-within design studio settings or in construction, technologies, or professional practice streams
- enthusiasm and effectiveness as a teacher of design, construction, and professional practice with a capacity to provide mentorship
- expertise which will include one of the following areas: material investigation, structural analysis, data science and analytics, AI, AR, building assemblies, building performance and life-cycles, and/or fabrication, coupled with more specific interests in how these topics relate to environmental performance, regenerative and resilient design, heritage conservation, design for a changing climate, post-carbon world and/or other related practice and research interests
- the ability to apply established and emergent design tools in your field, a strong understanding of trends, industry practices and relevant local and international professional bodies
- evidence of professional and/or research excellence, including, where appropriate, peer-reviewed research, nationally significant published and/or exhibited design work and scholarship, design awards, research grants, strong industry collaboration, and/or experience in a leading professional practice.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Please note: For the right candidates, visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rae Hao, Recruitment Operations, on 8627 0063 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 30 April 2023 11:59 PM