Laboratory Animal Services Manager
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $129,847 p.a. - $137,008 p.a. + 17% superannuation
- 30 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 23 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Veterinary Science, Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Other Senior Management, Professional Services, Other Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Full time continuing position located on Camperdown Campus in the Charles Perkins Centre, Laboratory Animal Services
- A great leadership opportunity in a laboratory animal service setting
- Base Salary HEO 9 $129,847 p.a. - $137,008 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Laboratory Animal Services (LAS) are seeking to appoint a highly experienced Laboratory Animal Services Manager, to support the LAS Associate Director in department management. This will include planning through managing the operations of animal research facilities across campus to ensure regulatory compliance and to facilitate the University's strategic objectives in research. This encompasses the provision of a cost efficient service for a range of species and services. You will provide professional expertise of laboratory animal services, ensuring best practice in this area at the University.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- a degree in Veterinary Medicine, Medicine, Animal Veterinary Bioscience, Science or equivalent with experience in the management of a business unit, laboratory or similar including planning, budgeting and the provision of services
- monitor and evaluate the animal care operations and activities
- identify any areas of risk, lack of compliance or breaches in legislation relating to animal research
- forward plan the development and implementation University policies, procedures and guidelines to support regulatory compliance and best practice in animal care and husbandry
- participate in relevant committees; write and present reports and documents for the LAS Advisory Committee, relevant regulatory bodies, faculties and ethics committees.
Laboratory Animal Services (LAS) is a professional services unit of the Research Portfolio, which provides day-to-day care for research animals, maintains animal research facilities, and helps ensure regulatory compliance in relation to animal supply.
To learn more about the Laboratory Animal Services click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Laboratory Animal Services Manager who has:
- experience in the management of a business unit, laboratory or similar including planning, budgeting and the provision of services
- qualifications and experience in Veterinary Medicine will be highly regarded
- a demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, animal welfare
- sound knowledge of the techniques and protocols relating to care and housing of laboratory animals and research and surgical procedures conducted on animals
- excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate complex and sensitive information to various stakeholders
- experience in successfully leading teams, providing agile, operational decisions to direct and manage staff and facilities
- the ability to initiate and implement policies, systems and processes to ensure best practice and support University and local strategies
- the demonstrated ability to interpret complex legislation and other relevant regulations, and provide expert advice on implications of such regulations from multiple perspectives.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all the role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Kirsty Keating/ Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 23 April 2023 11:59 PM
More searches like this
- Veterinary Science Senior Management & Heads of Department Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Veterinary Science Other Senior Management Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Veterinary Science Professional Services Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Veterinary Science Other Professional Services Australia jobs in Camperdown