Professor of Public Value
- HAMAD BIN KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Qatar (QA)
- Attractive compensation package
- 29 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 28 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Politics & International Studies
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is a homegrown research and graduate studies University that acts as a catalyst for positive transformation in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
The College of Public Policy (CPP) reflects the priority the university places on supporting and contributing to effective policy development that enhances public value nationally, regionally and globally. The College offers a dynamic research environment exploring policy challenges across a range of areas. This includes social, environmental, and developmental policy, public administration, higher education, food security, conflict and humanitarian response, and governance.
The college invites applicants at the Full Professor level in broad areas of governance and public policy. This includes but is not restricted to global policy making, sustainability and climate change governance, social policy, health policy, conflict and humanitarian response, digital governance, artificial intelligence, smart cities, and education.
The Distinguished Visiting Professor of Public Value (DVPPV) will bring senior scholar-level expertise to the college to complement and advance the distinct and recognized areas of expertise currently offered by the CPP faculty. DVPPV will also give the college the agility to respond to academic needs, while engaging in emerging policy-making processes. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the HBKU objective of producing high-impact research and community engagement that provides solutions to challenges critical to Qatar and the world.
The DVPPV is a residential position. Candidates may apply for a single semester, or two consecutive semesters (fall and spring, or spring and fall).
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in public policy, social policy, economics, political science, sociology, or related fields.
- A minimum of 10-12 years of relevant full-time university teaching experience, research, higher education, or closely related areas in industry (additional experience may be required to show equivalency). Applicants must show evidence of increasing professional maturity and productivity.
- Must be an active researcher with a record of scholarly publications in professional and/or peer-reviewed academic journals.
- In exceptional cases, candidates holding a senior policy making office with a distinguished track record of contributing to public value in Qatar, will also be considered.
- Applicants must possess instructional and mentorship experience relative to supervising; this could possibly be teaching a course to master students.
- English language proficiency is required.
- International experience and qualifications will be given preference.
- Arabic language proficiency would be an asset.
- Ability to contribute to curriculum development and innovation.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, multicultural context.
- Demonstrated collegiate and collaborative workplace skills.
How To Apply
Please submit your application (CV, cover letter, statement of research interests and accomplishments) through the following link: link.
You should also include a project proposal with specified deliverables in terms of publication and activities (the college may contribute ideas where appropriate). Activities may include workshops or training, teaching, co-supervision, media activities (e.g., OpEd series), policy briefs, public lectures, collaboration with other universities and branch campuses in Education City.
If this initial submission is of interest to the college, the candidate will be asked for further supporting materials, including names of referees. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
Applications are being invited for fall and spring 2023-24, and 2024-25.
Applications will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as housing & transportation allowances, children educational assistance, annual paid leave and airfares, medical insurance etc.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.